Author Topic: Boeing machinists on strike..  (Read 185 times)

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Boeing machinists on strike..
« on: September 16, 2024, 01:51:56 AM »
  Union asked for a 40% raise over 3 years, Boeing offers 25% over 4 years..  I don't havea complete handle on how well others wages are increasing,
   but they don't appear to be increasing at near that rate..  So to me it appears that Boeing employees want to contribute to the raging inflation.

Not as if Boeing machinists are starving...

https://www.fox13seattle.com/news/boeing-machinists-go-strike

Clipped from article,  ... four year contract not enough, I guess..

"The machinists make $75,608 per year on average, not counting overtime, and that would rise to $106,350 at the end of the four-year contract, according to Boeing."

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline GTS225

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Boeing machinists on strike..
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2024, 02:36:59 AM »
UAW did it with the "big 3".....why not with airplanes?  (Typed tongue-in-cheek.)

Roger

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2024, 07:34:33 AM »
Don't know why they are striking now with the airplane problems they are having to fix.  They are loosing sales due to the bad planes already. 
Opelika Portal

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2024, 07:39:45 AM »
Don't know why they are striking now with the airplane problems they are having to fix.  They are loosing sales due to the bad planes already.

Shows they’re not very smart, DEI hires?

Offline moamonkey

• Contributor
  • 478-737-7622
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2024, 10:41:31 AM »
“Shows they’re not very smart, DEI hires”?

They’re Seattle based. That would figure.

Offline DDZ

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2024, 11:52:02 AM »
Last year 33% of public workers were unionized. Only 6% of private sector workers were unionized. So its certainly different when tax payer money is involved. Take the big teacher unions for instance. They have always held tax payers hostage. Just because they can.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2024, 11:56:17 AM »
I can see it now.  . .
The huge sign in Indonesia.
" FUTURE HOME OF BOEING "

Oh well.  . .
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline neckisred

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2024, 09:32:01 PM »
Cost of living is pretty high in Seattle. 100k a year sounds pretty high to most with no mortgage or family to support, but in reality, it doesn't go that far these days...........

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2024, 11:01:04 AM »
I can see it now.  . .
The huge sign in Indonesia.
" FUTURE HOME OF BOEING "

Oh well.  . .

...And if they were to move to Indonesia, there could be a reduction of the cost of homes in Seattle..   

With Trump as president, they wouldn't likely move to Indonesia...but they could end up somewhere else..like Witchita, Amarillo or Shreveport..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline DDZ

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2024, 11:35:33 AM »
The teamsters union members are 60% in favor of Trump, yet the Teamsters president won't endorse Trump. Goes to show what union leadership is about, and that is shoveling members money into democrats pockets. 
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2024, 11:06:57 PM »
25% is one hell of a raise. i worked union for over 30 years and never saw more than 5% and that was just once. typical raise was 3-4% and usually had to give up some benefit to get 4. . i would have pissed myself if we got offered even 10%. some greedy bastards there!
blue lives matter

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 03:34:49 AM »
25% is one hell of a raise. i worked union for over 30 years and never saw more than 5% and that was just once. typical raise was 3-4% and usually had to give up some benefit to get 4. . i would have pissed myself if we got offered even 10%. some greedy bastards there!

Just doing their best to promote the inflation spiral..

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 05:22:07 AM »
If he's still with us, I have a relative
that was on a picket line with his
fellow employees for a large pay raise
and the money for bills was getting
slim. I forgot exactly how long they
were on strike, but it was a long time.
The representatives from his union
weren't flexible at all, and the company
finally padlocked everything and
moved outside of the country and
continued their business.
All the strikers were s.o.l. and
a good many found other careers.

IMO I don't understand why what
the people in the offices make is
any business of anybody else.
If the laborers were happy with
their jobs and pay rate before,
why did the union people interfere
with the arrangement  ?
I've had the same problem on
a couple of jobs where other
employees were worried about
my pay rate, and my hours.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 10:09:53 AM »
I hate unions with a passion and have most of my life.

Dad worked in the soil pipe shops that Anniston was known for long ago. One time the contract was up for renewal the workers wanted a big raise and struck to get it. They stayed on strike for more than a year.

Dad found a job at a pipe shop in Haines City, FL and we moved there for about a year when I was in the 7th grade. When the strike ended we moved back to our home in Anniston again.

For a year plus of lost wages they got a whole nickel, yeah 5 lousy cents an hour raise. I've hate unions ever since.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 12:26:02 PM »
 Ican recall when Kohler of Wisconsin (Kohler plumbing mfacturing) was suddenly hit with a strike !  That was in 1954, the year I graduated high school.

It is the longest lasting strike in US history..taking from 1954 until 1965..   Eleven years wasted, the UAW dumped $12 million into it, and ended with
   "some concessions"..

I have worked both and preferd non-union, working my own talents, to build my own portfolio.

https://www.fox6now.com/news/were-standing-up-for-what-we-want-with-94-vote-in-favor-union-workers-at-kohler-now-on-strike

Offline DDZ

« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 01:30:55 PM »
I had to work under a united gas workers union for 30 years and hated the union. They always protected the lazy guys that never did their job, and in my 30 years I never saw anyone fired. I hated working along side guys who were lazy, yet was making the same wage as I was. In other words unions dictate your wage per your job title. Didn't matter how good you were at your job, or if you went above and beyond. You made the same as the lazy guys.  I and a few other guys looked into getting out from under the union, but would have had to jump through a thousand hoops to do so. 
I remember at a union meeting once before the election of Bill Clinton. The president told us to basically vote for Clinton.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Today at 05:39:28 AM »
I had to work under a united gas workers union for 30 years and hated the union. They always protected the lazy guys that never did their job, and in my 30 years I never saw anyone fired. I hated working along side guys who were lazy, yet was making the same wage as I was. In other words unions dictate your wage per your job title. Didn't matter how good you were at your job, or if you went above and beyond. You made the same as the lazy guys.  I and a few other guys looked into getting out from under the union, but would have had to jump through a thousand hoops to do so. 
I remember at a union meeting once before the election of Bill Clinton. The president told us to basically vote for Clinton.

..Rather like DEI hiring practices ?   :D ;D