Author Topic: Flash holes in Norma 9mm  (Read 67 times)

Offline clumsum

• Trade Count: (0)
Flash holes in Norma 9mm
« on: September 30, 2024, 04:39:49 AM »
I have some range brass that I am in the process of removing the primers . I have run into some Norma brass with small flash holes and some with normal size flash holes, the small holes. will not let the decaping pin pass thru the flash hole. I plan on making a punch small enough to remove the primers then drilling the flash hole out. See any problem?

Online orerancher

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Flash holes in Norma 9mm
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2024, 05:14:51 AM »
9mm brass is easy to get..I wouldn't bother personally...

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2024, 05:17:36 AM »
Those are Berden primed.  I would discard them.  If you drill a hole for standard primers to function and still have the two Berden holes, the primer may blow out when shooting unless it is a very light load.  I asked about this on old Berden primed military rifle brass.  I threw it in the discard jar.  I have a local metal recycling place who will pay me for used brass if I have enough.  They pay by weight. 

I have seen where you can make 44 magnum bullets from 40 S&W brass.  Fill it with lead, then shape the front end with a 44 mag bullet seater die and use it for a cup and core bullet.  The 9mm brass might would work for a 40 S&W bullet with filled with lead.  Have to size it to see.  Otherwise I wouldn't use them. 
Opelika Portal

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2024, 05:33:13 AM »
My dad used to remove Berden primers in our .43 Spanish brass using hydraulic pressure. Worked.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2024, 07:42:45 AM »
im with orerancher toss them
blue lives matter

Offline clumsum

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2024, 05:01:29 AM »
Not Berden thay have only one flash hole and I have a few head stamped with X that also have one small flash hole.

Offline Moleman

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2024, 07:43:42 AM »
Waste not want not I suppose.   I've had some 9mm and other cartridges over the years that would had smaller than normal flash holes.  Pitched some like 9mm when I had buckets full of them, and have drilled out others.   No issues with the ones that were drilled out.  I have a bunch of 9mm, 40 and 45acp WinClean cases with huge flash holes that haven't seemed to be an issue either like you'd expect.