Author Topic: Who is right, Trump or Deere ?  (Read 72 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Who is right, Trump or Deere ?
« on: October 01, 2024, 12:00:56 PM »
  Trump just called Deere on their current practices...  Who is right and who os wrong ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxz8ttWq9kI
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline GTS225

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Who ois right, Trump or Deere ?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2024, 04:07:47 PM »
Why is it that everybody goes alarmist with internet info?

Realistically, I remember when Deere tried Mexico with engine blocks back in the 90's. (I think it was.)  That worked out to the tune of about 80-90% rejects, and unusable blocks.  The whole operation was moved right back here to Waterloo in rather short order.  I can see history repeating itself with crap being turned out in record numbers, requiring massive warranty issues costing Deere millions, if not billions.
Additionally, the American farmer has no legal obligation to buy, or continue owning a green & yellow product, and could quite easily make something red the #1 ag supplier in the U.S., and it could easily happen in a relatively short time.  (Remember....all the equipment they buy is deductible.)

Now, Mr. Trump can not arbitrarily smack anybody with a 200% tariff without a large majority of congress backing the proposal.  When was the last time those 535 egomaniacs actually agreed with each other?

While I might like the idea of weaponizing tariffs against U.S. based companies that do such crap, let's all try to have realistic discussions instead of this knee-jerk alarmist horse-hockey.

Trump is doing the same thing the media does.............dramatizing news just for the ratings they/he can get.

Roger

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2024, 04:44:23 PM »
Over and over, what is not American made is less than. More expensive, yes. Better quality? You bet. The consumers of those goods make the decisions, but when you need goods that will not fail, American made is best.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2024, 09:55:30 PM »
the owner of the farm i shot deer on detested deere products. at the time i had a small deere tractor and showerd up one day with a deere hat on and he told me take it off or leave. at one time he had deere equiptment but said it was constantly breaking. one harvestor he had that was a year old would just quit working in the middle of the field and it was under warantee. said it was computer related and it happened 5 times and deer came out and fixed it and a few days later it would do the same. the 6th time it happened they told him he had to bring it 90 miles to there shop on his dime. he called a lawyer and he stepped in and deere had to buy it back. he said it wasnt the only problem he had with that brand. he was a sharp cookie. at 75 he didnt farm anymore, he let the two boys run the farm and stayed home and did the mechanical work and maintenance. my son in law who runs a big truck repair business here knew him and said he was one of the sharpest mechanics hw ever met and was honest to the core. by the way the son in law hates deere too. my small tractor didnt give me much trouble but all i use it for is blowing snow. it was getting tired and i wanted a diesel so i bought a new kubota a couple years back and it was a big step up but then my deer was 15 years old and to be fair i didnt compare it to a new deere. i do know some swear by them. all i know is this kubota uses half the fuel my gas deere did and it fires right up even when its 10 below. two winters without even changing a sheer pin in the blower. something the deere did even when it was blowing deep snow. probably a dozen times a winter and if youve done that when its cold and a storm is blowing it aint fun!!
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Who is right, Trump or Deere ?
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:45:20 AM »
  I worked for some years as a parts manager in the farm equipment industry.  My brands were IH, Ford, New Holland among others.

I have no problem with JD quality...it is very good..and pricey.  All the leading brands in the farm equipment field, has to be...or they would not last.

Most Farmers are in mechanical knowledge, far ahead of the the grasp the average suburbanite has with what makes their car or pickup truck tick.

Known among machinery dealers, as said by Deere people.. "Our prices are competitive...on the high side.."

Recently, some farmers got together and sued JD..so they could have access to the repair manuals.. It appears the Farmers won...

https://www.reuters.com/legal/litigation/deere-must-face-us-farmers-right-to-repair-lawsuits-judge-rules-2023-11-27/
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)