Author Topic: ...On the rails again...  (Read 34 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
...On the rails again...
« on: Yesterday at 02:10:14 AM »
  Old #18 is bak in service.  Nearby town has a historic steam engine, which has been off the rails for 7 years..   A complete rebuilding was in order,
   and with meagre funds, small but dedicated working team, a suggested 2 year rebuild was extended to 7 years.

Of course, much of that time expended, was waiting for periodic inspectors making their appearance.  The tracks run about 1.5 miles
   (as the crow flies) from where I used to live.  Inever rode the train , although I worked some on the station.

I leave the ride to rail enthusiasts and the tourists..  The engineers, flag men etc. are all very dedicated rail aficinados.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WGUOJvxIKc

More for rail fans.. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6-kSiHU39U
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: ...On the rails again...
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 03:46:47 AM »
If it only goes such a short distance, why even bother? Now if it went several miles thru nice rural country side I could see why one might want to take a ride. I guess like you I'm just not a rail enthusiast.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:41:13 AM »
If it only goes such a short distance, why even bother? Now if it went several miles thru nice rural country side I could see why one might want to take a ride. I guess like you I'm just not a rail enthusiast.

Yes; it is a short trip..aboutv 8 miles each way..but it goes through some nice, scenic fams, creeks and woods.  Also, for the tourists, they have festivities at each colorful RR station at each end.  One or two summers, they had some local "cowboys" stage a dramatic 'train robbery'..

A couple years ago, they had a special day honoring veterans..with a display of WW2 era militaria & v,s at the turn around end at Curriers.

Many folks bring their grandchildren, so theycan explain the "old days" of rail to them.   Below see further information with photos..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fansofarcadeattica/

For those who don't visit Facebook...my apologies..

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:50:39 AM »
  The A&A  also has some regular business  for businesses in Arcade on the commercial part of the tracks, plus a large grain mill along the scenic route.     They also have a couple small diesel engines which are used daily.

Photo below shows a retired snow plow, now set as a display in front of the local fire company..