Author Topic: Ivory micarta or tru ivory for grips?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Will52100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Ivory micarta or tru ivory for grips?
« on: March 28, 2004, 01:39:38 PM »
I've got a short barreled 61 navy that I've just converted with a Kirst, still need an ejector and loading gate cover to finish it.

What would you guys suggest for grips, ivory micarta(the antique paper base looks pretty good) or the tru ivory.  I've done a good bit of work with micarta and know how tuff it is, but what about the tru ivory, how well does it hold up?

Thanks,

Will
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Hermit

• http://www.kynd.net/~hermit
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 01:08:35 PM »
Will, I am a fulltime knifemaker, part time 07 ffl firearms mfg. I use alot of ivory. Mastodon is cheaper because it is already extinct and not so many regs, elephant is costlier and more paperwork. Real ivory is succecptible to heat, sun, moisture, it cracks, discolors, contracts and expands. It cost alot too. Talk to my buddy Tim Balda at http://www.ivoryworksltd.com/ ,drop my name is fine. Hermit or Shawn will do.  He also has a person makes grips for him especially peacemakers. Wild Bill is purported to have carried a pair of ivory handled 1851 colts in 36cal but Wild Bill is not your average cowboy either. Most cowboys used cow or buff bone grips which is a very very cool and personalized material if you want natural material for grips.
Ivory micarta?? Great stuff, pretty, can scrim it, stabile and inexpensive. Depends on what you want to spend and being able to get ivory big enough. Look at the "knife scale" section on Tim's site, give you an idea of cost and sizes available. Am I trying to discourage you from ivory? No. Are you the type has to be different even of your grips equal the cost of the kirst and 1861together then go for it. I am different, I am eccentric, do what trips your trigger. Ivory has been used and will work given the fact it is a natural material and has to be treated "nice".
Do I like ivory?  :-D  :lol:  :P  It has a feel, it has beauty, it has grain, charisma..... I have done 3-4 dozen knives in ivory, very very special, very expensive. Hermit

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 05:49:31 AM »
Thanks Hermit, but I was refering to the trade name fake stuff, it looks like real ivory and is a little on the pricy side compared to other fakes, but no where near as high as real ivory!  Heck I don't even use ivory on knives yet! :eek:
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 09:52:39 AM »
Jim Alaimo at Nutmeg Sports does a first rate job with ivory grips. They run $395 for single action type grips. I have a set on an 1860 Army and they really "make" the gun. Everyone deserves at least one ivory handled C and B revolver. It's a good investment too! Just type nutmeg sports into your browser window and hit search---the top listing is his.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Hermit

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 02:19:15 PM »
Will.. The trade name fakes and a couple other "clones" aren't to bad looking for a manmade. More authentic than white micarta but definetelu not ivory look or feel at all if you have ever had the pleasure. If you have ever seen faux pearl you will know what I mean. With pearl, nothing but the real thing has the fire, the depth. Nothing but real ivory has the grain, feel and that feel is very very palapble. Some of the better fake ivorys use bone dust in them, better quality, even better feel but they are still a composite. Plus side?Inexpensive, durable. I do use alot of "ivory micarta" and I really like it alot too but it is not nor can it ever even begin compare to real ivory. Sometime Tim sells chunks of tusk that are reasonable and have alot of material, just resaw yourself. Hermit

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 09:18:17 PM »
Thanks guys,  I'm leaning toward the "True Ivory" product, it's as close as I've seen to real ivory.  I don't think I'd put real ivory on a dayly shooter though, unless I maybe had it stabilized and could find a good deal on EBAY!
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 02:08:09 AM »
I am not sure what brand I have, but I bought a grip for my 1860 army from Dixie.  I was impressed, the fake has a grain to it and a slight yellow cast.  I put it on with absolutely no fitting for $40.   If you are looking for reasonable, that gets my vote.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 09:54:45 AM »
I think we worry a bit too much about the finish on our guns today. And that includes the grips. The old timers used their ivory handled (and pearl handled) revolvers as they were meant to be used and gave them proper care. They became wear silvered and maybe the grips yellowed and picked up a few scratches and dings, but that really just gave them an individuality and patina that set them apart.
     I have two second generation square back navies and at least one of them is going to get a set of ivory grips. And I plan to use it often as it was meant to be used. And I'm not going to worry about normal wear and tear. Years ago, Leonard Day built me a flintlock fowler. Some months later he asked me if it had any scratches on it. Feeling a little embarassed, I said that it did. He said "Good, that means you're using it and not coddling it." I never forgot that---guns are meant to be used not displayed. And there is a memory in every mark.
     The only pearl grips I have are on a  NAA .22 C&B revolver. Pearl is supposed to be delicate, but I've shot my gun a number of times with no problems. Just don't drop a pearl handled gun and they seem to last fine.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Hermit

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 02:35:08 PM »
Filmo.. I also use almost all my guns and knives. Excpetion being stuff that is rare like a run of 150 damascus picklock stilettos with a special etching and none made in 60 years to compare but I would say 99.9% of my stuff gets use. I also build both guns and knives for sale and nothing pleases me more that when people actually use them and tell me they use them, send me pictures of game they have killed, skinned.
Ivory aging, bone aging is character and is acceptable but people must be aware it will happen. I have ivory that has cracked, shrunk, changed color and it is loved as much or more. I use natural material in my knives and there is no such thing as a FLAW. It's nature not a flaw, nothing natural is flawed, it feels good, it is real, it is alive, it's unique. Some of my best knives come from natural material that has cracks, mold discoloration etc. I stabilize some of it some I don't. As a rule most people love and accept this. Pearl? Not quite as fragile as some think. Drop it wrong and yes it will crack but normal use and some falls won't hurt it. I have several hundred dollars of A+ presentation grade pearl on hand right now, nothing so beautiful. Again, good post. People worry too much about use, wear when in fact it is a very nice feature to see a used gun not a specimen under glass because it may be collectible 200 years from now. Hermit