Author Topic: handi trigger problem  (Read 855 times)

Offline ken s

• Trade Count: (0)
handi trigger problem
« on: March 30, 2004, 02:18:05 PM »
here goes. need some input guys. done my trigger to reduce trigger pull. just like the download said page by page. no didnt take to much off didnt use a stone on it. all i used  to polish it with flitz&felt wheels every where it said to.got it down to 3 1/4 lbs checked with trigger pull gauge. went to shoot it.  first seven or eight rounds no problem then i had missfire primer was struck very lightly put same round in again an it fired than had 3 in a row with verry light pin strikes that didnt go off one more fired than 3 more didnt go off. i thought  i put it back together right. if i didnt put it back right why some fire an some dont an why is that pin strike so light.anyone shead some light on this for me give me somthing to try. app: all help           thanks
                                          ken s :?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
handi trigger problem
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 02:58:26 PM »
Try this ken s, pull the trigger completely through its range of travel, do not just lightly trip it, what happens if you do not fully pull the trigger to the rear is the transfer bar (safety(?) feature) does not correctly engage between the hammer and the firing pin....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline perklo

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
handi trigger problem
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 10:26:16 AM »
ken,   :grin:

I'm glad you posted this here...

You had sent me a similar email, and I had read it as I went out the door for work one morning. I guess I accidentlly deleted it though, as I couldn't find it later that day to reply! I get an incredible amount 'o email - mostly trash - and often get click-happy with the delete button!!

Anyway, I've had over 150 emails from people who have done the trigger job following my instructions, and many more comments on boards like here and the old H&R board.

I've had about 3 folks say they got over-zealous in the honing department and had to buy a new hammer or sear/trigger, but those are the only negatives in the lot. But for triggers kept above my recommended 2.75 to 3.5 lb. pull, I haven't heard of any INCREASE in misfires...  Some handis do have trouble with light strikes, but doing reasonable trigger reduction doesn't seem to affect that tendency one way or the other...

As MSP Rep points out, most times it is lack of "follow through" to the pull on these guns that begins to lower the transfer bar as the hammer hits it that makes for a light strike. But, length of hammer nose, incorrect assembly of the striker/lifter spring and/or installation of the trigger extension all can add to the problem.

It is hard for shooters who are used to light triggers without much overtravel to get used to a trigger that, by design, has to be held all the way to the rear until after the shot goes off, and that you can't have an over-travel stop etc. I takes some getting used to...

Please keep us updated as to this problem with your rifle.

- perklo

Offline ken s

handi trigger problem
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 06:37:43 PM »
thanks for the reply perklo:

first let me thank you for your down load on this trigger.Without it i may still be at this project lol.after many dismantle trips an checking  it out i finnaly got it. consider me a handi trigger expert now lol. what i came up with was the trigger extension was not long enough to hold transfer bar up long enough i think this is right. so after long agony at your down load[ iwill now have to down load it again ragged lol] i peaned the end of it verry lightly to slightly lenghten it for more push . dont know if i am making my this clear or not. but tell u what henry:IT WORKS an now those primers are hit like  they where meant to be hit an no missfires. im a happy camper. thanks again perklo.
                                 ken s :-D  :-D  :D

Offline perklo

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Trigger
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 02:14:59 AM »
A too-short nose on the trigger extension...!

Good catch (and fix), Ken.

When I mentioned the extension, I was thinking more along the lines of the notch at the bottom not being snapped fully in place on the trigger before assembly.

I have two new spare extensions (I ordered multiple spare parts before I ever tried my first trigger job), so the next time I get a Handi with light strike problems, I'll compare the extension from the offending gun to the spares.

I love it when a fix is simple!!

- perklo   :)