Author Topic: 360 DW  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Deadeye47

• Trade Count: (0)
360 DW
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2004, 07:10:49 AM »
OK...I thought that might be what you meant by #1...I just didn't know if ya had a whole stable full like Ole Stewart in Shanandoah....8 grand kids!! Thats great....I have a couple of stepdaughers...the youngest one has a little boy the older one is not married..... I'm likin it!! Let us know on those loads..have ya shot them yet?

P.S. I use the Indian Nation but come up thru Durant and catch it at MacAlester......Besides I sent MSP Ret some of mine to play with so my pile is dwendling....hehehe  I can't wait to get all my stuff moved down here so I can tinker!
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
360 DW
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2004, 04:42:15 PM »
Deadeye,

Shot those groups today.  You can read about it and see the groups  here.
http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1061&PN=1&get=last#16722

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
360 DW
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2004, 11:08:23 PM »
Deadeye,  :D Next time you're gonna come thru Doo-rant, :car:  give me a hollar on the PM machine, maybe we could get together. Ditchdigger is down here too and we might could all have a cup of coffee together or something.  
:toast:
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
360 DW
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2004, 01:19:56 PM »
Deadeye,

Here's the latest on the .360 DW.
http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1061&PN=1&TPN=10
There's a terrible group I shot today and the chrony results at that location.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
360 DW
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2004, 04:02:32 PM »
Hey Deadeye;I live within a couple of miles of the Choctaw truck stop in Durant, so when you come through, holler and we'll eyeball each other.Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Deadeye47

360 DW
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2004, 05:08:02 PM »
Dang... Paul that 18 gr.of Lil-Gun under the 200 gr. bullet looks like the one...but you said you have some pressure signs...HUMMMMM I wonder if dropping it .5 would open it back up?? Lookin good though...
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Deadeye47

360 DW
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2004, 05:21:10 PM »
lik2hunt and ditchdigger...would like to meet ya'll but I can't promise anything right now...I'm planning on going thru on the 16th or so I am going to camp out at my sons in Dallas and visit the grandkids and make him buy the ole man a meal! LOL  There is a BBQ place there I really like to eat at..1/2 smoked chicken,slaw,beans and bread and onions..it don't get any better than that! They also have some sauce that will make tears shoot out of your tear ducts like venom out of a pit viper!! LOL Man is it good..I usually mix it with some wussy sauce to tone it down some...UMMMMMM!! My mouth is watering now!!  Anyway..it is going to be a fast trip as I have just a little time to take care of some business up there and rent a small trailer and then load up stuff to bring down...I'll try to work it in but I can't promise and I don't know what time I'll roll thru...we'll see though...as I said I like to meet some of the guys I visit with on these boards from time to time.....

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
360 DW
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2004, 10:03:57 AM »
:D , Hello Deadeye and Thanks!!!, you started this thread (a pretty good one I might add, and popular too!) talking about how long and short it took for shipping, well The mailman just stopped by and dropped off that .360 DW brass!!! Monday and it's here on Cape Cod next to the Atlantic Ocean already!!! Boy that was fast and that brass is pretty. Your right about me fondling it. Of course, my .357 barrel and receiver is not back yet and it's going to be about 25 degrees tonight, it snowed in parts of the state last night but they keep telling us spring is going to come this year...Thanks and I'll keep you advised and you will get the bullets you desire. If I'm not set up in time to cast some I'll send you the new bullet mold for your friend to cast you a few hundred or so then just send the mold back when your done....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Deadeye47

360 DW
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2004, 03:16:32 PM »
WoW... see...I can't understand that...that was pretty quick! Glad ya liked um...and yes...mesmerizing!  :-D  Glad to do it...and I'll hold ya to that mold deal!!  :wink:  Now your really going to be watching for that UPS guy with the long slim package from NEF!!  I can't believe it's 25 up there! I've been laying out getting a tan by the pool here! hahaha I can't shoot so I might as well work on the melanoma......

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
360 DW
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2004, 04:26:50 PM »
Shot two groups today.  Both had 17.8 gr Lil'Gun, but one was a 200 gr Hornady PSP and the other was a 200 gr Rem PSP.  The Rem's shot about 4" at 100 yards while the Hornady's shot all over the place.(7-9" in a vertical string).  

I went ahead and shot some 125 gr Golden Sabers while I was at it.  Used 20 gr Lil'Gun and got vertical stringing as bad as the Hornady's.

I think I'm about ready to try some H110 or H4227 and see if this barrel will ever shoot consistantly!

EDIT: Since I have use almost a pound of Lil'Gun on this project, I think I'll try a different (magnum) primer instead of the CCI 400 I have been using.  If the forearm isn't the problem, it just might be inconsistant ignition.

Offline Deadeye47

360 DW
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2004, 08:30:45 AM »
I wonder if a primer change would do anything different...your sure doing a good job on this project...wish I had something to throw into the mix but I don't right now...I got some LIL Gun on the shelf myself and hoped that it would shoot well....I like that 1 ragged hole deal but a 4 inch group at 100 is a deer thats down!! :wink:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
360 DW
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2004, 02:35:39 PM »
I got to shoot two sets of groups today.  The post is here with all the information and pics..
http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1061&PN=1&TPN=10

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
360 DW
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2004, 04:31:54 PM »

Offline Deadeye47

360 DW
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2004, 07:53:38 PM »
well...using lil-gun...you dropped from 4 in. downt to less than 2 in. but dropping your charge 2.5 grains and using a 450 cci primer instead of the 400 correct? Do you know how much of a drop in velocity that reduction made? This was in the 360 brass right?  I was hoping the lil gun @ 1700 fps would group better but that last group looked pretty darn good!

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
360 DW
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2004, 08:21:51 PM »
Deadeye,

With the change to a hotter primer I dropped the charge by about 10%.  I'm in the process of bringing those loads back up, looking for accuracy first.  After that, I'll run them through the chrony again.  

The H4227 and H110 seem to be doing pretty good with the XTP's and the same for Lil'Gun with the 200's.  I increased the loads tonight to 16.0 gr Lil'Gun and 17.0 gr H4227 and H110..  We'll see what the primers and the groups say tomorrow.  

I haven't used anything besides .360 DW's since I got them.

Tonight I tried working some on the wood on the "new" frame.  It's about some dog ugly wood!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
360 DW
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2004, 02:46:28 AM »
Paul. did you actually get rid of your old .357 barrel or do you still have it? Would it be for sale by any chance?....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
360 DW
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2004, 04:45:55 AM »
MSP,

The post you probably looked at and saw the "new" .357 is actually the same old barrel, just on a different frame.  The only thing new is the .22 Hornet barrel I just got from BigBoreFan.

You know, I have had a lot of fun and frustration with this .357 Mag barrel.

The sun is out and shortly I'll try some more loads, trying to get it to shoot to its potential.  

The ability to utilize the .360 DW has been icing on a good cake, that has made it even better!  Therefore, I understand why you would like to have one of these barrels!  I just have to say, sorry, not for sale yet.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
360 DW
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2004, 06:06:03 AM »
Thanks for the reply Paul, I have a receiver at H&R being fitted for a .357 Mag barrel now and Deadeye has been good enough (great in fact) to share some of his .360 DW brass with me. I am looking forward to getting the new barrel back and working up some .360 loads using some jacketed .35 Remington bullets I have on hand. I luckily also have a pretty good selection of .357 bullets on hand also. Of course if that barrel gets to be for sale please keep me in mind....<><.... :grin:

Offline Deadeye47

360 DW
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2004, 07:36:59 AM »
MSP Ret is right in there with me on the 360 stuff... Bored!!!  I can't wait to get my stuff down here so I can get  back to doing some shooting....I have a brand new Chrony at home that had never had anything but my hand fly over it!! :x  I have forgotten all I read in the manual so will have to go thru that again....I think I need to get Haywire Haywwod to give me lessons....he seems pretty up on chronos these days...hes got a new one too. My manual to me is just like reading a science book written in Aramaic... :shock:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
360 DW
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2004, 01:18:00 PM »
Deadeye,

Written in Aramaic?  That's a rather unusual dead language to select as an illustration.  Not many people understand it today.  "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" would be an example of Aramaic.

New information and groups here.
http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1061&PN=1&get=last#17477

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
360 DW
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2004, 02:16:50 PM »
OK Paul, I'm curious if no one else is, what did you say in that "dead" language? Are you fluent in it?....<><.... :grin:

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
360 DW
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2004, 03:11:57 PM »
MSP,

The only thing I'm fluent in is East Texan, but I can speak regular English too!

Aramaic is a Biblical language with parts of Daniel being written in Aramaic and a few phrases in the New Testament.  I just gave you an Aramaic New Testament quote without its address.
Mark 15:34  And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

A very familiar section of scripture during this Passover season.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
360 DW
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2004, 03:24:39 PM »
Thanks Paul, glad to see another among us who is no stranger to the good book.  Happy Easter to you and yours....<><.... :grin:

Offline Deadeye47

360 DW
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2004, 03:54:16 PM »
I just used that as an example cause I don't understand it any more that I understand the instructions to my chrono! LOL  Maybe I should have used hieroglyphics  as an example... :D   Did ya get to test those loads today Paul??

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
360 DW
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2004, 04:02:50 PM »
Deadeye,

I posted the site for the results for today above at 6:18pm.  I need to back off on these loads a little or make some other changes.

MSP,

I thought there was some "fishing" (<><) going on, but it looks like I was the one who was doing the fishing instead!  I prefer Resurrection Day to Easter, but to each his own.  It is indeed a day to be happy about!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
360 DW
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2004, 04:10:48 PM »
^/=*}-{}o>~``!!!....<><.... :-D

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
360 DW
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2004, 01:33:19 PM »
It looks like 16.5 gr H4227 with a 180 XTP/HP is the right one!  You can see today's results here.
http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1061&PN=1&TPN=11

Offline Deadeye47

360 DW
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2004, 04:49:57 PM »
Lookin good Paul! I think you may be right on the 4227....I'm writing this down...I want to try the same thing in mine....course it prolly won't shoot worth a hoot in mine!! Funny how these lil guns have their own tastes for loads,bullets ,primers,crimps and etc..oh keep up the good work...I think your almost "there"......by the way my son gave me a set of lee "factory crimp"dies for every caliber I shoot for Christmas this year...(hey..he asked what I wanted for Christmas...I told him! LOL) and I like um!! I have tried them on a couple loads before it got too cold and they are really easy to use....anyone else use the things??? Pros or cons????

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
360 DW
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2004, 05:03:33 PM »
Deadeye,

I just fixin' to go out to the loading room and try a bracket on the 16.5 gr H4227.  A tenth or two on either side may shrink the groups even more.

The only factory crimp dies I have are 9mm.  I don't have any 9mm problems, so I guess they work!

BTW, I'm resting this Handi on the receiver hinge pin when I shoot.

Offline Deadeye47

360 DW
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2004, 05:11:58 PM »
Well good luck Paul5388...I'm anxiously waiting to hear the results...That is pretty neat how the crimp collet works...I was amazed at how easy it was to set up...course like I said the only calibers I've tried it on are my 45-70 and 44 special....

DECEASED 10-09-05