Author Topic: Buffalo hunt report...  (Read 1142 times)

Offline azshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Buffalo hunt report...
« on: April 01, 2004, 04:57:36 PM »
Just got back from a Buffalo hint with my dad in New Mexico.  Took the Savage model 12 in 300 WSM loaded with Winchester 180 gr CT Fail Safes.  Took my Savage model 99 in .308 as a backup gun in case anything happened to my Savage.  I had it loaded with the same Fail Safes as the 300 just a lot slower.  Dad decided he did not want to bring his 06 so I told him he could use one of mine I suggested the 300 but he wanted to use the .308.  

We were about 100 yards away and dad shot at his buffalo, unfortunatly he hit it a little bit low in the neck - the Fail Safe sailed right through.  It looked like a drain open on the Buff but it would not drop.  Incrdible how tough they are.  Anyway as soon as it was wounded the others gathered around and we could not get a followup shot to drop it.  I could see it through the scope still pouring blood - how they still stand I don't know and after 10 min dad told me if I get a clear shot to drop it.  Anyway I finally had a clear shot put the crosshairs behind the eye and below the ear and fired the buff dropped like a ton of bricks.

Next I had my turn but it was not nearly as dramatic, I spotted the one I wanted and waited for it to get in a good position.  Same basic shot, right behind the eye and below the ear - drops in its tracks.  Both the shots went right through I would have loked to see what the Fail Safe looked like after doing its work.

Offline Lawdog

Buffalo hunt report...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 02:03:49 PM »
azshooter,

Congratulations on a successful hunt.  Were you just meat hunting young bulls and were they free ranging or what?  My cousin and I are looking for a free ranging buffalo hunt is why I am asking.  My cousin wants a nice trophy and a robe not to mention all the good eating afterwards.  Just wondering if where you went would fill his order?  Small groups and tight lines to you.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline azshooter

• Contributor
Buffalo hunt report...
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 03:16:16 PM »
We were just meat hunting.  Ted Turner(gag) owns more buffalo than anyone in the country on his huge ranches in NM.  They were $700 each for cows.  Big trophy bulls are something like $2500 - more than I can pay.  They are not hard to hunt - go with Ranch Forman out to the area of the Ranch where they usually are - he says pick one - bang.  My dad just heard of a Colorado hunt being organized that is supposed to be $300 for a cow.  I don't have more info yet he is checking.  Even at $700 I think it is a good price - including paying for meat cutting and all it works aout to around $2 a pound for a cows.  The cows are around 800-900 pounds and you can expect around 400 or so lbs when all cleaned up and ready for the meat cutter.  The average bull runs 1800 pounds and the big ones up to 3000.  I signed up for next year.  If you need the number of the ranch let me know - real cowboys run it and they did a good job even if Turner does own it.

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
Buffalo hunt report...
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 08:12:34 AM »
az - sent ya a pm.