Author Topic: 243 ultra varmit  (Read 1217 times)

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
243 ultra varmit
« on: April 03, 2004, 07:17:49 AM »
just ordered a 243 ultra varmint from the local mom & pop gun shop. it came in at $289.99 plus tax, how does that price sound ?
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline 243tom

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
243 ultra varmit
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 08:29:27 AM »
That's a bit higher than I paid at Gander Mt. here in Ohio.....$259 for mine. Nice gun.

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
243 ultra varmit
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 08:48:15 AM »
well the last one i bought was $229.95 brand new in the box.  that does sound like too much to me!!!!!! could be the prices have gone way up in a year and a half, but i doubt it. now it does depend on where you buy them, as some local dealers up here charge that much too. but i happen to have a very good shop only about 25 minutes away. but either way, ENJOY YOUR NEW GUN!!!!
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
243 ultra varmit
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 09:29:29 AM »
i saw that i could order one at wal-mart but i've buying guns from this dealer for 2 decades, i'd rather pay a few bucks more and keep him in business. the price did sound a bit high, but i've bought a couple of browning citori's from him that were way below what i expected so in the end, it all evens out !

it'll be here wednesday, got to get the scrubbing stuff out, clean it up and then get to shooting !

this has been asked about a million times here but what do i do to float the barrel on these ultra's ?  i'm expecting the gun to string vertically after a few shots. i've heard o-rings, fiberglass bedding, etc. do you just put an o-ring between the forarm and barrel stud ?

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
243 ultra varmit
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 10:57:47 AM »
I paid $249.99 plus tax for my 223UV at Gander Mtn a couple months ago and I believe that they are priced the same as the 243UV.

All you have to do for the o-ring thing is find one that fits over the barrel stud and screw the forearm back on.  I don't torque mine down really tight...Just tight enough that it won't back out on its own.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Bis

• Avid Poster
243 ultra varmit
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 05:13:58 PM »
I paid $230 at Wally World last Nov. for my 243 ultra. The prices may have gone up since then. I saw a very used 308 with scope at a pawn shop yesterday for $320.
 Enjoy your new weapon, be sure to clean the daylights out of it before you shoot it. Especially the chamber and action.

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
243 ultra varmit
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 09:37:58 AM »
I use my huntsman fore stock on all my rifle barrels... Was easier to bed,
and fits better than the rifle stocks. When I travel north and plan on using slug' muzzle, rifle... I just take along the stock hollowed out for ramrod...
Granted it looks like a 2 x 4... A hasp will take care of that!

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
243 ultra varmit
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 12:24:24 PM »
the 243 ultra varmint arrived on wednesday. tonight i clean it up, and tomorrow morning i bring it out for the first shoot. picked up a green box for the first shoot, not enough time to load jacketed bullets and havent even ordered any molds yet.

all the metal work is really nice and smooth on this gun, so is the wood. i noticed the hammer doesn't have that little "click" when you cock it like my other handi's.

can't wait !, so the can of brake fluid, rem oil, and the brass brush is all ready to scrub out all the factory gunk. i'm up here at my cabin with my dog, and my new handi, life is good.

sg

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
243 ultra varmit
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 06:07:32 PM »
and I am jealous...My goal is to have a cabin someday...Just don't know when that day will be...I'd like to buy some land first but I need to pay this house off first...You know the drill  :cry:
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
243 ultra varmit
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2004, 02:09:52 AM »
no need to be jealous, come over and blast some turkeys here next month. i'm on the southern shore of grass lake, near alex bay, prime bird area !

we went for a walk yesterday late afternoon and a hen was clucking up a storm, my wife was scared, she's heard about those attack-turkeys on oprah.

well, the 243 is all cleaned and polished and after i chow down, it's shooting time !

sg