Author Topic: Need suggestions getting nipples out!  (Read 765 times)

Offline Prof. Fuller Bullspit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Need suggestions getting nipples out!
« on: April 03, 2004, 08:58:18 AM »
I've got a Pietta '51 Nave in .36 caliber. This gun is like new although I bought it used. I took it apart to clean it but couldn't get the nipples out of the cylinder.

Any suggestions? I have the cylinder soaking in penetrating oil right now and am looking for a new nipple wrench but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 10:38:40 AM »
Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Just be sure the wrench fits well... some of them are a little sloppy.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline 1860

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 11:35:32 PM »
Modest heat to the cylinder.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 07:17:11 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I've gotten two out so far. Four are still as tight as ever!

I may need to drill them out and replace them. I knew I should have bookmarked that recommended website for replacement nipples!

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 07:28:49 AM »
Sent ya an email with name for replacement nipples.   Can send linc when I get yer email addy.  If ya want.
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline Shorty

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 02:23:08 PM »
Prof,
Just a suggestion; leave those stuck nipples be.  At least, until they NEED to be replaced, perhaps the pounding, firing, cleaning of normal shooting will eventually jar them loose.  
The old-timers rarely removed nipples at routine cleaning, and in a properly tuned revolver, they would last a long time.  Of course, those old-timers might have needed to take their gun to a smith to change to new nipples.  :roll:

Offline Flint

nipples
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 06:18:30 PM »
Go to Thunder Ridge website and get either their own brand of Stainless or the Treso bronze.  The Treso nipples are very consistant in size.  If you drill out the nipples, make sure your drill is smaller than the tap drill for the threads. Get a hole through and use an easy-out.  The Pietta nipple is M6-0.75, so the tap drill should be 5.25mm or .207 inch.  Stay under that, maybe 3/16 inch drill.  Uberti uses a 12-28 (M5.5-0.9) and that should be kept smaller than .18 dia drill.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Old No7

Stuck nipples...
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 05:08:24 AM »
Gee, I've always found that a quick not-so-hard bite down with your teeth will get most nipples moving!!!  Away from you!!!   :grin:

Seriously...

With the cylinder sitting up in a cookie pan, place it in a 300 degree over for 1 hour, with a little oil at the bottom of each nipple.  You can plug the nipples with toothpicks ("ouch!") so the oil goes to the threads, not right out the flash hole.  Remove from the heat and make sure there is more penetrating oil (like Kroil) in each chamber, and then let it come back to room temp for 1/2 an hour or so.  You should then be able to use the wrench to remove the stuck ones.  A gunsmith with one of the domestic replica houses told me this trick, and it worked just fine on an old Pietta .36 cal that I had.

Plus ~ its saves your teeth!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 05:23:37 AM »
Tequila always gets the nipples to come out.  Old No7 is right. You can force them and force them and just have problems, but give it a good soak and it makes all the difference in the world.  An old gunsmith told me for stuck gun parts to soak it, then tap it lightly, soak it and tap it again.  Give it a couple of days if it is really stuck.
....make it count

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 08:35:46 AM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have ordered Treso nipples, thanks Cactus Chris, and I've still got the cylinder soaking.

I'll try the heat method later this week if they are still stuck.

Thanks again for all of the info!