Author Topic: Cap problem, Ruger Old Army  (Read 1340 times)

Offline weinstein

• Trade Count: (0)
Cap problem, Ruger Old Army
« on: April 04, 2004, 02:22:38 PM »
Howdy gents!  A quick question reference cap sizes (and brands) and the Ruger OA.

I fired my 7" SS OA today for the first time with 30 grains 777, wonder wad, and .457 Hornady balls.  Worked like a charm, shot great (even bumped up to 35 grains).

My problem:  #10 and #11 CCI caps would not fire on the first hammer strike, but went off 100% with hit #2.  They were seated on the nipples with an inline capper or finger (even #11 felt too tight).

Remington caps (an old tin, no numerical size designation) seated like they were tailor made for the revolver and went off 100%, first time, every time.

So what am I doing wrong, what do I do to correct it, and should I just switch to Remmies and forget the rest?

Thanks!

Offline Jeff Vicars

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 02:30:55 PM »
I use #10 Remingtons on my OA, no problems.

Offline Flint

caps
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 06:26:18 PM »
Ruger Old Army is a perfect fit with Remington #10 caps.  Size in order small to large is CCI#10, Rem #10, CCI #11, Rem #11.  Generally I have found CCI #10 too small and Remington #11 too large for most nipples.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline weinstein

thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 07:18:58 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Since the CCI #11s seemed small... I wonder if my ROA is a bit off, nipple wise.

While cleaning tonite and paying close attention to the nipples (Sheesh!  Did I just say that with a straight face?) I noticed they're somewhat assymetrical.

I also noticed (to my chagrin) that the Ruger nipple wrench supplied with my revolver DID NOT FIT the nipples.  I had to relieve metal and "shorten" the socket just to get engagement!

Know of anyone that makes a replacement wrench for the Ruger?

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
Ruger OA misfires
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 03:30:50 AM »
I am wondering if you have the original nipples if the wrench doesn't fit.  I bought a used OA and had misfires.  Changed caps, some were better than others, none perfect.  Changed to after market nipples, same story.  Finally cured it by replacing the main spring and now have reliable ignition.  I don't know if the main spring was original.  Other areas on this revolver had been tampered with by some one less than fully competent.

Offline Jack Crevalle

• A Real Regular
Re: thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 03:52:32 AM »
Quote from: weinstein

I also noticed (to my chagrin) that the Ruger nipple wrench supplied with my revolver DID NOT FIT the nipples.  I had to relieve metal and "shorten" the socket just to get engagement!

Know of anyone that makes a replacement wrench for the Ruger?

The person I bought mine from said it didn't come with one so I looked all over locally and finally mail ordered one from Cain's in WV. Before it showed up however I thought, "Wait a minute, 'hex' nipples?", and tried the smallest nutdriver, 3/16", I had and it fit just fine.

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 07:00:46 AM »
I believe Remmington has changed their caps in the last year or so.  I always have used no. 10s.  I went to a shoot, loaded up only to discover the no. 10s were now too long to pass through my cappers.  I ruined a snail capper and almost ruined a straight line capper.   I have stayed away from them ever since and went back to CCI # 11s

Offline Flint

caps
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 08:28:58 PM »
MoGorilla, what brand of snail capper, I use a Case snail and it fits Remingtons fine.

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 02:01:36 AM »
The snail capper was a Ted Cash purchased from Dixie, as were the two straight line cappers.  The change in height of the caps were just enough to jam the heck out of my snail capper.   In trying to amend the situation, my gorillish paws bent the spring, followed by breaking the spring.  I managed to pull all of the caps out of the straight lines.   I had three tins of the remmingtons and they are all the same height, but I probably bought them at the same time.  I still use them, putting them on one at a time from the tin.  This is a lesson in patience and to control my cussing.    :twisted:

Offline Flint

capper
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 07:07:04 AM »
Sorry, I meant Cash Capper.  Wonder why mine will accept Remington caps?  I have heard others remark that they won't as well.  I have 2 cappers, but I haven't loaded the new one yet, I'll have to check it with Remington caps.

Offline weinstein

Thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 07:32:11 PM »
Thanks guys for the advice.  I am looking forward to trying the nut driver trick, that would really be nice if it works out!

As to my Ruger, I bought it NIB and it's all original.

Offline Jack Crevalle

• A Real Regular
Re: Thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 01:45:02 AM »
Quote from: weinstein
Thanks guys for the advice.  I am looking forward to trying the nut driver trick, that would really be nice if it works out!

I found that it was more convenient than the other nipple wrench that finally showed up. If you have a couple of sets of nut drivers and one doesn't work you might try another because the "flat" sides of the nipples aren't very deep (for obvious reasons) and you might need a wrench that has it's flat parts almost to the end.