Author Topic: SB alloy?  (Read 402 times)

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
SB alloy?
« on: April 06, 2004, 06:04:32 PM »
Hi fellow shooters.  Here is a question I hope someone can answer.  Maybe one of you proffessional cast bullet guys.

Few years ago I got some alloy from a local guy called SB.  Don't  remember what was in it but it made a nice bullet and shot well in my .44 mag and 45-70.  It was a little expensive and so I'm wondering what it's made of so maybe can mix some up.  Any help appreciated.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
SB alloy?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 11:05:34 PM »
sb is the element sign for antimony. I doubt that it is straight antimony as it wouldnt cast a good bullet. I would guess that someone added antimony to some pure and marked it as such. Do a hardness test and see what you come up with.
blue lives matter

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
SB alloy?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 07:47:29 AM »
For sure it wasn't straight tin.   Matter of fact, I bought some tin ingots from the same guy that day.

I would guess that someone added antimony to some pure and marked it as such. Do a hardness test and see what you come up with.

That seems likely.  I don't have a hardness tester but can put one face to face in the vise with an aircooled wheel weight and see which one says uncle first :-)

Will report back with results.

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
SB alloy?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 06:25:36 AM »
If the guy was selling tin ingots, he may also have been selling high antimony ingots for alloying. Never bought any, but I recall seeing 50/50 antimony/lead ingots for sale. Doubt they woulda made good bullets straight, though.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.