Author Topic: Lyman Moly-Lube  (Read 587 times)

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Lyman Moly-Lube
« on: April 06, 2004, 07:47:07 PM »
Hi All,
Has anyone used Lyman Moly-Lube with their cast bullets?  If so, do you get that moly build-up that you do with moly coated bullets?
Thanks for any info.
TnNuc

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Lyman Moly-Lube
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 10:54:36 PM »
used some many years ago it seem i remember it was a good lube but a little messy to handle.
blue lives matter

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Lyman Moly-Lube
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 01:39:16 AM »
I'm new to sizing bullets, the first ones I sized and shot werre lubed with Lyman Super Moly, they were in fact, messy but I attribute a large part of that to my learning how to adjust the equipment.  I shot close to a thousand rounds of 45 acp with zero leading.  I'm now using some other lube  I received in a trade and have to break out the Lewis Lead Remover after 200-250 rounds.  I'll may finish what I have, but when I run out , it will be Lyman Super Moly from now on.  I'm pleased enough with it, that I'm not even going to experiment, and I really like experimenting.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Castaway

Lyman Moly-Lube
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 02:17:22 AM »
For my plinkers, I use Lee Alox, but for my hunting loads (> 1500 f/s, 45 Colt, 255 grain RNFP) I use Lyman Moly, hand applied.  I have yet to detect any leading, even after 50 rounds.  Maybe the Lee Alox would work too, one day I'll get around to test it, but if I loaded a box of "hunters" today, I'd use the LymanMoly because it works for me.  I tried it with some 357 loads, but wasn't satisfied, maybe the pistol, the bevel base, no cardboard wad under the bullet and who know what else, but I did get leading

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Lyman Moly-Lube
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 11:41:55 AM »
cant really blame the lube for that. Its tough at mag velocitys to get any bevel base bullet to perform without leading.
blue lives matter

Offline captainkirk

• Avid Poster
Lyman moly
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 03:46:42 AM »
I have used it on water-quenched wheel weight bullets in my 458 at 45-70 velocities.  Zero leading after a 69 round range session...

Kirk
Phil 4:13   I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me.

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
Lyman Moly-Lube
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 06:04:24 PM »
Thanks guys, :D
I'm giving it a try.  I got my lube-sizer loaded and ready.  All I need now is to get off my duff and cast a few bullets.  I had a stick, but wanted to check before loading up the sizer and squeezing out the last bit of the old lube.  I may try dusting them with Motor-Mica to cut down on some of the mess.
Thanks again for the info..
Best,
TnNuc