Author Topic: Cresent shaped cut on forehead...  (Read 1683 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Cresent shaped cut on forehead...
« on: April 08, 2004, 03:39:55 PM »
Thats right I did it, last time I said never again. Finally got my scope rail on my 24" smoothbore barrel, the one with choke tubes. Took off the X-Full Turkey tube, screwed in an Improved cylinder tube, took a scope and rings off my 45-70 and off to the range. Brought some Winchester, Federal, Brenekke regular 2 3/4" and some Brenneke 2 3/4" Mags. That 12 Gauge does kick! I'm used to my 45-70 and it's a piece of cake compared to this 12. Anyway I shot the Winchesters, 6-8" at 50 yards, lousy, could do better with my 870 and iron sights!! The Federals were a bit better, The Brenneke Mags were a bit better but the Brenneke standard 2 3/4" were the best, about 3" group 4" below the bull, Set a box with a target center on it at 100 yards. The Brennekes again were the best, all on the paper at least but I think I was getting gun shy by now, about 25 slugs shot and I was gripping the gun HARD. I thought that might be effecting the group size, thats no way to shoot for score, so I gently shouldered the shotgun, lined up and slowly squeezed one off, OUCH!!, that smarts. I ignored it until the guy next to me said, are you bleeding? OK, I had to admit it, I got bit by the scope. I have decided that rifle scope with not much eye relief may be fine for my 45-70 but I really need a shotgun scope with a bit longer eye relief. only need about 2-2.5x. any suggestions from those more experienced than I with shotgun scopes??? Thanks....<><.... :?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Cresent shaped cut on forehead...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 07:12:25 PM »
Quote from: MSP Ret
only need about 2-2.5x. any suggestions from those more experienced than I with shotgun scopes??? Thanks....<><.... :?

How much are you looking to spend? I have had a Simmons Pro-Diamond in 2X32 on my Turkey Thumper for 10 years with tons of MAGNUM turkey loads through it with no problems. (about $70) 5.5 inches of eye relief.

My son has a cheap Tasco Bantam 2.5X32 on his 870, still holding zero after 5 years of turkey loads and rifled slugs. (about $40) 5-6 inches of eye relief.

Do NOT buy a BSA, they are JUNK after 10-12 slugs. I bought two and got burned on both of them. I won't even spend the twenty bucks to send them in for repair or replacement. (not worth a bent nickel)

I just bought a Smith & Wesson Performance Optics 1.5-6X38 Shotgun/Black Powder scope for $129 brand new, MSRP is $396. Very nice scope for the money with Multi-Coated optics, RainShield, fast focus, Center-Shot reticle with 5" of eye relief. (my only gripe is the power ring is a little stiff)

The high end scopes should all be good, just get the longer eye relief. :wink:
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 02:50:10 AM »
Thanks Bustayote, The info on the Simmons and Tasco was just what I was looking for. I want to get about 5" eye relief....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline MTNMAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 03:07:50 AM »
MSP,
Gotta agree with Busta' Yote on the Simmons pro diamond got that on my turkey thumper also you might wanna look at the Bushnells... another with Long Eye relief, got them on my Ultra shotguns... they'll also let ya shoot them 3" & 3.5" without uglyin' up your eye brow... MTNMAN :)

Then again I don't recall you ever sufferin' from MAGNUMITIS or bein' into the PAIN thing :biggun:
Patience comes with age & you can't teach common sense

Jeff Gannon who was known to his many friends here as Mtnman passed away the other day. 09-27-05

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 03:44:44 AM »
Your so right MTNMAN, don't think magnumitis is necessary, but I do believe in putting the bullet in the right place the first time. Thats why all the slugs I shot were 2 3/4 inch. Not surpising to me the standard velocity Brenneke 12 Gauge shot the most accurate out of my gun, less recoil for me, better projectile placement at the target end. And thanks for you input, I appreciate it....<><.... :grin:

Offline MTNMAN

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 04:24:51 AM »
MSP,
Guess thats why we use these single shot shotguns and rifles... Often wondered how I ever managed to fill my freezer all them years with venison and turkey just shootin' them 2 3/4" rifled slugs and loads of #6's when that was all we had to shoot...But then again dead's dead and I swear them animals don't know the difference....  Hey, Have a GOOD Easter...MTNMAN :)
Patience comes with age & you can't teach common sense

Jeff Gannon who was known to his many friends here as Mtnman passed away the other day. 09-27-05

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 07:06:24 AM »
MSP...Another viable scope option is the Tasco World Class 1.5-4.5x32 scope...Comes with 4" of eye relief and a Pro-Shot Reticle...

Here's how Tasco describes the reticle:

Pro-Shot: A 30/30 reticle with an inner center circle that provides an exact aiming point for shotgun use and works as a rangefinder too.

It might be your ticket...I know that I have seen these scopes for $42 or so on the net.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 07:08:40 AM »
Oh, BTW, when I was bitten by a scope it didn't bleed...It just left a nice crescent shaped bruise for a week or so...The wife thought it was hilarious.  I know now that you stop shooting when you are getting tired because you tend to relax your concentration and form...The bruise was the consequence...Some lessons are harder learned than others.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 10:34:38 AM »
Thanks WNY, sounds good for that price, I'll look into that scope and I'll put it on my "possibles" list. To you and all this H&R "family" out there, Happy Easter to you and your families....<><.... :grin:

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 02:34:39 PM »
MSP R -  What about the old reliable Federal Classic in 2 3/4"?
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Cresent shaped cut on forehead...
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2004, 03:30:15 PM »
Quote from: MSP Ret
I thought that might be effecting the group size, thats no way to shoot for score, so I gently shouldered the shotgun, lined up and slowly squeezed one off, OUCH!!, that smarts. I ignored it until the guy next to me said, are you bleeding? OK, I had to admit it, I got bit by the scope. ....<><.... :?

Ohhh yeah.... been there, done that! :eek:    :oops:     Only I used a Handi Rifle in .280 Rem to "brand" myself in the forehead.  :roll:  Welcome to the club (it's easy to recognize fellow members at least).  :P  :)  

Brett
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2004, 07:14:19 PM »
like2hunt, I shot the Federal Classics and had great hope for them, they have served me well in other smoothbores. The Standard 2 3/4" Brenneke's (non Mag's) shot he best in this particular gun, so far....<><.... :grin:

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2004, 01:08:24 AM »
OK time to fess up, i used to have one of the mossberg 12ga bolt action slug guns. ( model 695 ) i had a non ported model, one of the first ones out, it was syn stocked and nice and light. well i had a tasco world class 3-9 just sitting here, and one day decided i would go buy rings, and head for the local gravel pit with some 3 inch brenneke sabots.  well i have a mark to this day, lucky for me its mostly in my eyebrow. so dont feel alone guys, i think we have all done this like this in the past. that tasco world class is the ones that lives on my NEF 30-06 now, and its going to stay there. that old girl has never punched me in the eye :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2004, 03:35:54 AM »
hahaha !!! ok, my right eyebrow has a divot in it from getted punched so many times by the scope ! me at a garage sale - "hey - this tasco for a buck with all the blood and hair on the eye piece has a 1/2" of eye relief, that  oughta do just fine on the 30-06 !"
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2004, 05:37:01 PM »
Another member of the club here!Shot 3 rounds to check my zero and fired a nice group then had one 3" left over from the year before so i chucked it in. My rest(back pack) had shfted down and instead of propping it back up I just leaned into it a little more and you know the rest. At least I was by my self. It's one of those stupid things that now I can't make fun of other folks for doing. I did alot of sniper training in the Army and back when we used the M21s it happened from time to time and I'd be the first pointing and laughing
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2004, 04:19:33 PM »
Markus since there was no witnesses to your 'christening' I'm not sure if you qualify for full membership in the club... I'll have to consult with my fellow members.  It' best when done in front of at least two or three of your friends.  That way you get to try being nonchalant while blood trickles down the side of your nose.   "I'm Bleeding?   huh, wow, I barely felt a thing.... just a tap really."    When in reality you could sware that you were just beaned with a ball peen hammer.   :)

I've thought it over Markus... since you have admitted to being 'kissed' by your scope on a public forum you deserve a full membership status.  Welcome to the club.  :D  

Brett
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Xplorer

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2004, 04:27:35 AM »
I must admit, that I too, am a member of the club.  It was this past muzzleloading season in late Dec., and I was stillhunting in a mixed mountain laurel/oak stand.  I spotted a couple of deer in the distance feeding, so I very slowly worked my way toward them.  After about an hour, I lost sight of them, but pressed on.  I then heard a noise behind me, and slowly turned my head to see a large doe about 40 yards behind me.  I turned around as best I could without spooking her, and leaned against a tree.  I was in kind of an awkward position, but I shot and the deer took off, but not before my scope kicked up and hit the bridge of my nose.  I went to where the deer was standing, to look for blood, when I noticed that the blood was from my nose, dripping into the snow.  Anyway, I found the deer at about 80 yards down the mountain, shot thru the heart.  Dressed out at 142#.

The scope was a Nikon Prostaff 2-7 variable, with about 3" eye relief.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759