Author Topic: Any bets on how long.  (Read 1153 times)

Offline 22KHornet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Any bets on how long.
« on: April 09, 2004, 04:01:50 AM »
I sent my handi to H&R last week and got my confirmation notice yesterday.  So just how long do we think it will take to get my 3 barrels?  To long for sure  :( .  

For the 357 I am looking at the williams peep site with firesite and was wondering if anybody else had installed a firesite and if so how well did it work?  Also does anyone know if you can put the big game or ghost ring aperture on the FP site that williams makes for the handi?
I must be crazy.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Any bets on how long.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 04:35:35 AM »
Is the FP sight your talking about the FP-H&R for the buffalo classic, listed as new in their 2004 catalog? ( http://www.williamsgunsight.com/2004catalog.pdf )

I have the williams wgrs in my mini ranch and I looked at the ghost ring williams sells for that sight.  Their ghost ring looked to be just the peice the aperature screws into but wasn't threaded.  To save myself $$$ and not have to change my sight I just unscrew the aperature and I'm left with the "ghost ring" part.

Again, this is for the williams wgrs sight, I'm not familar with the fp that intimately.  If it's the same removing the aperature leave you with a ghost ring.

Edit: page 11 of the catalog shows the FP with optional stuff, third option being the "ghost" ring.  I believe it's the same as the wgrs.  The "ghost ring" peice is an unthreaded aperature mount.

Later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Any bets on how long.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 07:21:11 AM »
I'm gonna guesstimate about 4 more weeks for your barrels.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Deadeye47

Any bets on how long.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 07:59:50 AM »
five weeks.... :money:
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
Any bets on how long.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 09:24:59 AM »
Scruffy,

I agree with you on the "ghost ring."  Back in the 1960s this was exactly what was referred to with that term.  You unscrewed the aperture and were left with a ghost ring and was often done for hunting.  This outfit that is selling their "ghost ring" sights just appropriated the term to name their sights.  I noticed that they also sell screw-in apertures now...

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
Any bets on how long.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 02:13:49 AM »
Took them 8 weeks on mine:( January 26 to almost the end of March)

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline Leftoverdj

Any bets on how long.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2004, 12:52:56 PM »
Yup, there are thousands of apertures in junk drawers across America, including a few in mine. Through the fifties and into the sixties, serious deer hunters immediately mounted a peep sight and threw the aperture into the junk drawer.

Makes for a very fast and reliable arrangement that is plenty accurate enough for eastern deer hunting. It was well into the sixties before scopes became cheap and reliable enough to get general acceptance. Even now, the aperture only arrangement is favored by some  hell-and-high-water hunters. It'll still work fine in weather conditions where a scope is hopeless.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
Any bets on how long.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2004, 03:25:56 PM »
sent my handi off to have a 243 barrel installed on feb. 20
im calling abt it tomorrow.  :cry:
sureshot

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Any bets on how long.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 04:13:58 AM »
At 50 yards what type of accuracy difference is there between an aperature and "ghost ring" at 50 yards.  Say I'm getting 1" groups at 50 yards with the aperature.  What should I expect with the "ghost ring" if I'm doing things right?

later,
scruffy

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Any bets on how long.
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 06:59:15 AM »
:D , If your doing things right (the same) you should get the same 1" groups....<><... :-D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Any bets on how long.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 08:00:47 AM »
So if it's more than accurate for eastern deer how about for midwest coyotes?  I'm thinking on my Ruger 223, where my shots are usually between 10 feet and 50 yards, with a few out to 100 yards, and a couple to 125 yards during a years time.

later,
scruffy