Author Topic: NEF TURKEY GUN GOOD TO 50YDS NOW  (Read 1144 times)

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
NEF TURKEY GUN GOOD TO 50YDS NOW
« on: April 09, 2004, 12:48:04 PM »
i just got done shooting it with all the different kinds of ammo i had left from last year and i am very pleased now.i took this shotgun to a fellow and had the forcing cone lengthened.it was the best $30.00 i ever spent.i now get hight teens as far as pellet count at 50yds.40yds is in the high 20s.at 30 yds i have a  pattern the size of a basket ball and at 20yds on a head and neck target the pellet count was over 115 and i think it was more than that.good thing there is a scope on this thing because of the small tight pattern.i will want to shoot my turkey before the 20yd mark.i wont even tell you how it is at 10yds.

doing the forcing cones makes a world of differance on these shotguns.im sure glad i had it done

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 06:01:24 PM »
That's awesome news Jeff...Are you talking about a 10GA, 12GA or 20GA?  If it is the 10, are you still using the stock choke or have you gone to an aftermarket?  How's the shoulder holding up after all that patterning?
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 01:24:21 AM »
i am going out on a limb, but that has to be a 10ga.  now that almost makes me want to get a good tight choke for my remington sp-10, and go play around with it a bit. but NO NO NO. i just cant do that, its my duck gun. and if i liked the 10ga for turkey i would just have to buy another one for that, seeing that the sp-10 is in waterfowl camo. and i dont have that kind of extra cash around :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  but what a mean turkey gun, and it gets 50 yrds. that really makes me wish i had gotten my permit this year.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 07:57:05 AM »
this is a 10ga with a Comp N Choke XXX full.it shot allright last year but not like some of the other guns around.a friend of mine told me about this fellow that did forcing cone work on trap guns and guys were coming from all over to him.he only lives about 20 miles from me.after reading about forcing cone work hear i decided to have him work on my gun.

last year the gun only liked one brand of ammo.now it shoots everything good.the one it liked best last year is still the best out of the bunch.the ammo that shoots best for me is the Winchester high velocity turkey loads.there is 2 oz of 5 shot or 6 shot.its doesnt matter much.the gun shoots them both real good.this load is a 1300 fps load.

it takes both me and my son to pattern this gun on paper.i shoot it then he shoots it.the recoil is right up there and i am sure glad the pattering is done.the man also said the when you lengthen the forcing cone that will reduce recoil some too.this forceing cone job turned a so so gun into a real shooter.the best $30.00 i spent so far

Offline woodsrunner

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
50yd turkey gun
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 03:26:51 PM »
Hey Jeff --nice bird. May want check into having the forcing cone on my 12ga. done. I'm also in Cent. Mi. and wondered who did yours. Thanks--
Good Hunting--Woodsrunner

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 07:12:30 AM »
I must have fallen on my head...I remember you talking about that aftermarket choke before...Don't know what I was thinking.  :roll:
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense