Author Topic: Lee Magnum Melter  (Read 643 times)

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Lee Magnum Melter
« on: April 09, 2004, 04:12:29 PM »
What do you guys think about this pot?  How close does it come to holding their 20lb claim?  A customer review at Midway said that it was more like 10lbs.

thanks,
Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline jgalar

• Trade Count: (0)
Lee Magnum Melter
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 02:33:14 AM »
I have had one for years and it works well. I have never payed attention to how much it holds. When I cast I fill it about 3/4 full so I can stir it. If I am only casting for an hour or so I cast until the dipper can't easily scoop up more lead. When I unplug the melter and pour the rest of the lead into ingot molds I get approx 4-5 lbs. So my guess is it does hold about 20lbs.

The mag melter really heats up the lead fast. I put it on 10 to melt, but usually have it on 2-4 for casting.

The inside diameter of the pot is 4" and the depth is close to 4" also.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
Lee Magnum Melter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 02:36:03 AM »
I have had one for the past 12 years and no, I would never expect to get 20 lbs. in one. The foot is attached to the vertical brace via sheet metal screws and  a 20 lb. force would rip these out, including ruin the aluminum. The area of the pot combined with the density of lead might equal 20 lbs. with the metal level up to the brim but otherwise, it's around 10-12 lbs. during normal use. It would be dangerous to fill the thing up to the top due to potential spills.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline TheCrowkiller

Lee Magnum Melter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 01:55:04 AM »
My Lee pro-20 will hold 16.5 pounds of wheelweights almost to the brim. This is the same pot as the magnum melter, but  with bottom pour capability. It has two metal legs to help support the weight of the pot full of metal.

Offline .308

• Contributor
Lee Magnum Melter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 07:18:13 AM »
Hey, I got the Pro 20 too. If it don't hold 20 lb. it's pretty dang close. Closer to 20 than it is to 10.  :D