Author Topic: Cast Bullet Load data for 7 X 444  (Read 859 times)

Offline chazgin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cast Bullet Load data for 7 X 444
« on: April 10, 2004, 05:59:57 PM »
Does anybody have load data for this cartridge with cast bullets? I would like to try the RCBS 140 gr for silhoutte.

Offline Leftoverdj

Cast Bullet Load data for 7 X 444
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 03:09:44 AM »
Starting load data for the 7-08 or 7x57 will do you fine. You're gonna have to develop for accuracy and decide where to stop on your own, but at the pressures we use for cast bullets, you ain't gonna get in no serious trouble using the data for either of those cartridges.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline chazgin

• Avid Poster
Looks good
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 04:43:24 AM »
This morning I compared the load data I got with the barrel for jacketed bullets and it appears they are on the starting to low side of 7-08 loads. This seems to me that you are correct to proceed with 7-08 data for cast bullets also. Just being cautious since the 7-08 "proper" is too much for a Contender frame. This case has ample volume to get into trouble with.

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Cast bullet loads for 7X57 Mauser
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 06:59:18 PM »
Hey Chazin,

I have done quite a bit of loading for my 7mm Mauser with cast bullets.  I have not had luck with previous 7mm loadings with the RCBS bullet.  Some people do, but not me.

I have used the following molds:

Saeco #281 - 145 grain gas checked

Saeco #073 - 165 grain gas checked.

Lead used was wheelweights with 2% Tin added for improved casting.  The tin does not add to the hardness in a significant way, it simply helps the mold fill all the edges.

If your have Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Works, let me know and I will send you via email a copy of my loading and accuracy data.

I have listed 20 groups that go from .625" to 5.25".  I had 6 groups under an inch and the bullet in 5 of those winning groups was the Saeco #281.

In my data, I listed the bullet as a 135 grain and the factory lists  it as a 145 grain.

Let me know and I will send you the data.

Harold Clark