Author Topic: Polishing chambers  (Read 796 times)

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Polishing chambers
« on: April 10, 2004, 08:40:32 PM »
I just got through polishing the chambers on my .223 and .357 Mag barrels.  It's a pretty simple process.  I just took a fired case and drilled the primer  flash hole out to 7/64".  Then I screwed a #6 X 1/2" hex headed sheet metal screw into the drilled out case, put a little Clover "Fine" valve lapping compound (available at better auto parts stores) on the case and inserted it into the chamber.  Then I used a cordless drill with a hex adapter on the screw head to spin the case in the chamber.  A little in and out of the case while it's spinning helps.  Remove the case, clean everything up (Clover is an oil based compound) and the job is done.  Wal-Mart Carb Cleaner is a good cheap cleaner (it will take the finish off your wood, so be careful where you spray it).   Swab it out with patches and oil after doing the cleaner.

Do I need to remind you to go easy with the process.  Remember, you're polishing, not making a .45/70 chamber out of a .357!

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
Polishing chambers
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 02:05:05 AM »
good post :wink: that will take care of the problem.you can go in with some JB Bore cleaner or Flitz to finish the chamber off too.thats what i did.the JB or Flitz will do i real fine polish job

Offline Deadeye47

Polishing chambers
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 04:25:31 AM »
Good post Paul..say.... how do you know the carb cleaner will take the finish off wood??  hehehehe :lol: ( I really like all the wisdom available on this site!!)
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Polishing chambers
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 05:46:47 AM »
Deadeye,

Carb cleaner traditionally has Methylene Chloride in it.  That is usually one of the main ingredients in paint stripper.  The Wal-Mart Super Tech Carburetor Cleaner says specifically that it has Tolouene and Acetone in it, both are powerful solvents.   The Fast & Easy paint stripper I have contains Tolouene and Acetone.  One + one = be careful around your wood!

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Polishing chambers
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 05:28:54 AM »
Good post Paul.  I'll be getting my 45-70 sometime around the end of this month, first of next month.  I'll probably be trying your suggestion out.

One + one = be careful around your wood!

I find this to be good advice in a variety of situations :-D  :-D  :-D
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters