Author Topic: What a day!!  (Read 755 times)

Offline 044

• Trade Count: (0)
What a day!!
« on: April 11, 2004, 03:18:51 AM »
Hey guys,I finally had a nice weather day down at camp to shoot the guns I`d  been working on over the winter.Well it didn`t turn out so great.It seams like every problem I read about on this site came true in one day.First I broke the fiber optic sight on my brand new stainless huntsman taking it out of the case.(luckily I had a 4x leupold mounted).Then I finally got set up to shoot using 1oo grains pyrodex under a lead buffalo style bullet.I could barelly keep them on a paper plate at 50 yards. After 5 shots I figuired I`d better crack the breech plug loose that I had covered with neverseez(after reading about that problem).Luckily I had milled 6 flats on the breech plug tool(picked that up from the muzzleloader page).Well it took one guy holding the gun down to the picknic table and me with a 13/16 spark plug ratchet to break it loose(after 5 shoots).I never did get a GOOD group.So I put that one away and got out my 243 I had been looking at all winter and couldn`t wait to shoot.I guess I should have cleaned the chamber even better than I did becuse the FIRST shot wouldn`t eject and was stuck in the chamber.I was at camp so of coarse I didn`t have a cleaning rod small enough to ram it out.So much for sighting in the 243. Needless to say I was pretty disgusted by then.The good part of the story is my son and I got out the new Ruger 10/22 we bought that morning and shot about 400 rounds with out a problem and had a blast.Now guys don`t get me wrong I love these guns and have shot more deer with my 20 ga. NEF than any other gun I have owned but the rifle and muzzleloader sure seem like they could try my patiance.Right in front of me is the TC ENCORE cataloge and its lookig pretty good.I sure hope the next outing goes better than yesterdays.         Have a great day!!!!        Griz