Author Topic: Deer rifles  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Bulldog

• Trade Count: (0)
Deer rifles
« on: April 11, 2004, 10:38:50 AM »
What is the best long range (out to 300yds), flattest shooting deer rifle and caliber for under $450?

Offline Bushnell Boy

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.hotspothunting.com/common/showsite.asp?dovend=0&id=29555
Deer rifles
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 08:00:30 AM »
There are a lot of different rounds these days that shoot effectively out to 300 yards. I shoot a .30-06 although I know the .270 shoots flatter. Also you might look at .243, 7mm, 25-06, I could go on and on. Look at some ballistic charts and figure out which round will do what you want.

As for the rifle I would suggest a Savage. They make a solid rifle for a reasonable price. Dicks Sporting Goods carries one for around 400 dollars. I think you can get that model in about a dozen different calibers.
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
Deer rifles
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 10:55:40 AM »
If you want just one answer, I'd pick the Remington 7600 in 30-06.

This rifle is available in several cartridges that would work equally well even given the extreme range requirements you've dictated, but I have a preference for larger bores.

Some may suggest a bolt action, however, given your address, which is definitely in the "east", you must know that - by definition - a deer rifle cannot have a bolt action. :twisted:
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Deer rifles
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 09:40:28 AM »
Weatherby Vanguard in .257 Whby. Mag.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline The deerslayer

• Avid Poster
Deer rifles
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 04:21:55 PM »
I love my 280 with winchester 140 grain ballistic silvertips

Offline The deerslayer

• Avid Poster
Deer rifles
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 01:57:08 PM »
I like the 280 remington with 140 grain winchester ballistic silvertips.

Offline Dave in WV

Deer rifles
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 03:16:45 PM »
The 25-06, 270, 280, 7mm08, 7mm Rem mag, 308, and 30-06 are all close for practiacl field application for deer. Price wise, a Savage is hard to beat.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline mountainview

• A Real Regular
Deer rifles
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 06:07:05 PM »
If you are looking for the complete package (rifle w/ glass) under $450, Savage is about the only choice. Remington 710 may be another. Folks seem to love or hate the 710 but the guys I've talked to at the range shooting them did not seem to have many gripes. Not having shot one, I can not confirm or deny the merits or demerits of the 710. If rifle only for under $450 then the field opens up a bit and there are a number of decent rifles in that range but scope and rings will up the cost a bit.

What is the best flat shooting caliber? That is a bit of an open ended question but most of the above mentioned calibers would do well. I carried a 25-06 in Western PA for several years and it served me well as a whitetail harvester.

Have to admit though that picking a caliber and firearm is almost as much fun as actually shooting.

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
Deer rifles
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 01:54:50 AM »
Many good choices are out there that'll fit your needs.  In addition, you have received some real good advice.  Here's what little I can add:
1. Whether or not you handload is a factor
2. If you do NOT handload, availability of a particular cartridge in your area is something to consider.
3. Recoil tolerance

The 30-06, 270, 308, and 7MM RM are the most popular/easy to find cartriges and have the most options in factory ammo.

The 270, 7MM-08, 260, 25-06 will have less felt recoil  

Just some more food for thought.  I have a Savage M110E that is very accurate and reliable.  There are other options though.

Remington M700ADL (synthetic and wood)
Remington M7600 (ditto)
Remington M710 (my last choice)
Ruger M77mkII (I bought one in stainless/laminate for $489)
Weatherby Vanguard

**as a note, you can find great deals on used gun racks with little effort.   There are several rifles out there with little and sometimes no use that people just don't want.  Winchester M70s(push feeds), Remington 700s, and Ruger M77s(both MkII and the tang safety ones) can be had for a song at times.  My suggestion is to handle different ones and then decide which  one fits you the best.

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
Deer rifles
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 08:57:38 AM »
Wallie World has Rem. ADL 700 .270 w/plastic stock and sights $369 plus tax out the door. Put a $15  set of mounts on......$20 set of rings and any one of a dozen different variable scopes for $50. You may just make it under 500 and buy a couple boxes of ammo.
Then some day when you want to upgrade pitch the stock, the barrel, the scope and mounts.
Buy a good barrel, a good stock and a good scope w/mounts and hardware along with the necessary reloading equip. to make decent ammo.
It I had never been into the whole gun nut thing and was getting started now. That is exactly what I would do.

Offline tosainu1

Deer rifles
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 12:57:54 PM »
How can you go wrong with a Remington 710? Yes they're ugly and a lil. heavy, but i have seen em as low as $329 NIB and they have gotten decent reviews in the gun rags......Save the rest for some ammo or a pair of these...

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/product.php?cat=binoc&id=941

Offline Lawdog

Deer rifles
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 11:28:41 AM »
Bulldog,

Most accurate out of the box rifle is the Savage(no matter what the cost) and the second best value is the Weatherby Vanguard.  Caliber for deer at the ranges you state would be either the .25-06 in the Savage and .257 Weatherby in the Vanguard.  If the possibility of an occasional Elk or whatever can get thrown in then go with the Weatherby.  Small groups and that is just what you will get with the Savage) and tight lines to you.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
Deer rifles
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 04:08:13 PM »
For no more that your imposed limit of $450.00 Savage/scope package in 270, 308, 30'06 in no particular order.
Love those .41s'

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
Deer rifles
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2004, 06:47:50 PM »
walk in to a dicks sporting goods around oct you can get a savage with 3-9x40 in 270,06,300mag or 7mm mag for just under 330 with the change get a better set of rings for it case shells an a buger an you still are under your 450
dave

Offline Blaine

Deer rifles
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2004, 04:54:48 PM »
I think for the money, you can't top a Savage or a Weatherby Vanguard. I've hunted with a Savage 110 Left hand in 270 Win for a lot of years. I just bought my Vanguard (in 300 Win Mag) this summer and it is a tack driver. I put a Timney trigger in both.

Blaine
Shoot straight and shoot SMART   :cb2:

Offline snowdog

Deer rifles
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 05:31:18 AM »
wear some decent boots for walking,  get OUT OF YOUR VEHICLE
  AND WALK 150 YDS or so put a bead on the deer with your
  30-30.  ($100-$350.00)  and  Shoot the deer!!
30-30....45/70...... does anything else matter?

Offline jhm

Deer rifles
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 02:04:36 PM »
Bulldog:  I have read alot of good advise here assuming you were refering to all brand new equipment, however lets stop for a minute and think about all the people who ( Have to have the newest rock to throw ) and look into buying a quality used setup, go into any gunshop in your town and get to know the owner and let him know what you have to spend and exactly what you intend to hunt with it and if he is a decent shop owner he will steer you onto a decent used rifle,scope combo. its like buying the brand new 4x4 pick-up or the one with a few miles on it, if you shop around you can find some deals, also look into you local pawn shops. :D    JIM

Offline wareagleguy

Deer rifles
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2004, 02:17:47 PM »
TIKKA

Got my t3 light for $439.00 out the door.  You can get them in mags too!.

And 1 moa !!!!!!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline firstshot

• Avid Poster
Deer rifles
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2004, 03:51:52 PM »
What jhm said!!!!!

Hit the gun shops and find you a good used gun to fit your needs and take the savings and put some good glass on it.

I just bought a used Brouning BAR in 30-06 (1999 model) this spring and have been working up loads for it.  Haven't had a bit of trouble with it and certianly can't complain about the accuracy.

Here's a couple of 100 Yd 3 shot groups form my new "Used" gun.

...........................squares are 1/2".......................................Shoot-N-C is 5 1/2" diameter

Best of luck!!!!

firstshot
------------------------------------
Make Your First Shot Count
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun !!

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
Deer rifles
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2004, 04:13:55 PM »
I would have to say the .270 is probally in the top 10, plus its easy to find ammo for... I have a M 70 Win featherweight classic in .270, and its a NICE shooter...like firstshot said ..check the shops and look for a gun that fits you :D
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline JPSaxMan

Deer rifles
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2004, 11:39:33 AM »
I have to agree with #1 and firstshot, even tho I own a .243 and it was a gift so I didn't purchase it myself, the next deer rifle I'm getting is a .270. I believe it has a pretty flat trajectory out to 300 yds and Winchester and all them other guys make some economical rifles chambered for the .270. Hope you find your rifle and kill a state record w/ it!! :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding