Author Topic: Self-Defense ammo for .45 ACP  (Read 4322 times)

Offline sideironjohn

• Trade Count: (0)
Self-Defense ammo for .45 ACP
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2004, 08:09:40 PM »
I keep mine loaded with the original black talons, but that meams I practice less and less with them, as my supply runs out. I've been using 230g Gold Dots for practice, loaded to about the same speed, considering making the move th GD. It's what the police are using over here in their 40's and 45's, possibly others. But I wouldn't think too long on any of the top sellers.
Though in truth there's something to be said for taking every edge to be gained, such as caliber, weight, expandability, accuracy, etc., there's going to be so much going on in a gun fight that isn;t included in your purchase choices, that I try not to worry too much about the bullet, so long as it's within the realm of "good." To me that means a 230g JHP going around 850 fps.

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
45acp loads
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2004, 01:04:59 PM »
I just bought a white box at wally world 230 grn jhp for +$16. To me this is a fair weather carry ammo. In the winter I load up hard cast fp, as I believe the hp takes in to much heavy clothing to put them down fast.
Jim

Offline DPRinks

• Avid Poster
.45 bullets
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2004, 05:45:42 PM »
I am not a leo, I just shoot some, I like a 185gr jhp +p, also a 200gr cast swc, also a 230gr cast tc, all shoot well, all make BIG holes in things such as boxes of newspaper and feral hogs[ advice, do not do a rear raking shot on a feral hog, the mess is really a MESS to clean] .
If you do a good shot with a .44 or .45 anything, you are going to really hurt something.
In a situation such as apartments, a shot gun is likely the best choice ,loaded with #6 or such shot.
My wife is blind, on occasion I have to be away over night, I have her a .38sp DA loaded with Speer shot caps full of #6, just told her to point at the noise, pull trigger until gun stops making noise, then reverse it , hold by barrel and if anyone grabs her, swing like a blacksmith.
Don
D. Rinks