Author Topic: 357 Maximum grouping  (Read 982 times)

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
357 Maximum grouping
« on: April 12, 2004, 08:46:54 AM »
Well guys run 30 rounds thru my max over the weekend. It took me about 20 minutes, so I could let it rest between shots a little longer. At 50 yards I got good 1/2 inch groups consistantly. Moved to 75 yards and was getting between 3/4 to 1 inch. That was useing 20 grains H-110, 180 XTP, and a CCI small rifle primer. Still shooting off my back deck. Really need to build me a good shooting bench. Will try and build one in the next couple of weeks. I think I may be able to get down around 3/8 groups at 50 yards if I had the gun more stable. Sure wish I had a digital camera so I could post pics, but hey I having fun.  :-D

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
357 Maximum grouping
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 10:09:50 AM »
Sounds like nice work BBF.  I really think the max likes the heavy bullets loaded close to the max velocities.  I tried some 125 grainers a few years ago and they flew all over the place, sure were moving though :grin:
I must be crazy.

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
357 Maximum grouping
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 10:47:29 AM »
22KHornet I can not waite till deer season to try it out. Should be one fine woods whacker. It sure seems to be a shooter so far.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
357 Maximum grouping
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 11:46:25 AM »
I will not be able to use mine (when I get it) in Iowa because we are non rifle state :cry: .  I have shot whitetails with my 357max blackhawk as well as my 357max contender though.  The 180 xtp wallops a deer a lot better than I thought it would.  My longest shot was just over 125 yds and I have never had one get away from the max, I know knock on wood.  You should be happy with it when you get your first chance.  As for me I am hoping to head to one of my uncles in Oklahoma in the next couple of years to try mine out :grin:
I must be crazy.

Offline JPH45

357 Maximum grouping
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 11:58:17 AM »
I can believe you never had one get away from the 180 XTP. I shot a buck this past season at 25 yards with one, shattered the foreleg, blew a hole in the heart 1.5" and still exited the animal. Muzzle velocity of the load, 26 grains of 1680 and CCi Small Rifle Primer is 2060 fps from my Handi. Deer dropped like he was poleaxed. The XTP proved it's merit to me that day. I won't load anything else in my Max for deer.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
Good shootin!!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 02:19:45 PM »
1/2 inch at 50 yards? I surrender! That is one good shooting Gun, load, and operator!
  Way to go! I can't seen to get anything but slow moving cast bullets to group under an inch in my max.
         Oh well, I'll keep trying,
                    RV
no x now!

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
357 Maximum grouping
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 02:13:03 AM »
RV, you might try H-110. I was going to try some other powders but the H-110 is doing so good I'm going to stick with it. Should have my 445 SM done in another month. My income taxes got held up because some paper pushers spelled my name wrong on my W-2. :x I need to get my reloading bench set up pretty soon.

BBF

Offline jeff223

357 Maximum grouping
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 07:44:00 AM »
that sound like you have a good shooter there.good job  :grin: my 357 doent seem to be a good shooter.i need to try some things before i make a change

Offline Leftoverdj

357 Maximum grouping
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 01:37:24 PM »
I'm out of this game for a couple or three weeks. Transfer bar broke on me and I'm gonna replace the firing pin as a precaution when I replace that.  No complaints, I've had the rifle at least 15 years and put thousands of rounds through it.

The Hornady 180 spire points were shooting very well for me over 25.0 grains of WC 680 when the transfer bar went.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Leftoverdj

357 Maximum grouping
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 01:41:03 PM »
BBF, Vance's WW 296 and your H 110 are the same thing in different cans (allowing for normal lot to lot variations, of course).
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
357 Maximum grouping
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 04:46:41 AM »
Guys, I just thought of something. My Max maybe shooting really good because I'm not using a powder dispenser. I weight each and every load by hand with my Lee scale. Suppose that has anything to do with my tighter groups. Just a thought.

BBF

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
357 Maximum grouping
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 05:12:15 AM »
I weigh each charge on my lyman balance scales from my lee dippers, weigh each bullet, weigh the brass, trim each case to the exact length, debur the inside and outside edge, then after I'm done I weigh each completed round to make sure of consistency.  Then I pre-heat the oven to 350, pop in a chicken pot pie or two, go out at test the ammo, come back inside, ask the blessing, then slam down those chicken pot pies.
                     I'm new to reloading, so all that stuff is still fun to me.
no x now!

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
357 Maximum grouping
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2004, 05:25:51 AM »
Reloading is new to me as well. I use my Lee dippers and scale the same way. I do not weight the bullets though. Your right about it being fun. I can set there a load up 50 rounds and I am totally stress free with out a care in the world. :-D

BBF

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
357 Maximum grouping
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2004, 08:10:06 AM »
Quote from: BIGBOREFAN
Reloading is new to me as well. I use my Lee dippers and scale the same way. I do not weight the bullets though. Your right about it being fun. I can set there a load up 50 rounds and I am totally stress free with out a care in the world. :-D

BBF

How many rifling grooves are in your 357. Mine has 8. I suppose that means its Microgrooved.
no x now!

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
357 Maximum grouping
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004, 08:33:20 AM »
I have never looked but I am sure it is micro-groove because of the ser. # I'm sure thet are using the same as Marlin. I don't see why they just don't go ahead and use the ballard type rifling. It would make just about all of them take drivers then.

BBF