Author Topic: Ole Betsy Make-Over  (Read 600 times)

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
Ole Betsy Make-Over
« on: April 12, 2004, 11:32:28 PM »
Back on the old MT site I had a topic about giving 'Ole Betsy' a face lift, my 336 .35 Rem.   It seems her beauty had faded a bit after years of dedicated service.

After last years deer season I went to my local gunshop and picked up a Stock Refinishing Kit marketed by True-Oil.

I started the project around the end of Jan. and finished with it last weekend  (Easter).  I wanted to take my time, regardless how long it took.  I didn't take any shortcuts since I did it step-by-step in my spare time.

I am pleasantly surprised at the outcome.   After chemically removing the old finish, which I wanted to do to keep the sanding to a minimum, and using the products in the Kit, 'Ole Betsy' looks like new.

One of the tips I got back on MT suggested using a damp cottonball and a steam iron to raise the grain in the little dings.   That tip also worked out very well.  All the dings are almost invisible.  

The last step I must complete is polishing a Satin finish on it.  I have the buttstock complete.

I am not one to give free advertising to any product but the kit True-Oil  puts out does a fine job.  They do their part, and with the directions provided, it's almost 'stupid-proof'.

The one thing I would suggest is using a chemical stripper to remover the old finish.  It saves alot of time and doesn't result in rounded edges, which is a tell-tale sign of the quality of work done by the user.
 If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Ole Betsy Make-Over
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 03:28:30 AM »
Congrats on your successful project. It is always nice when it turns out like you want it to!! 8)  I agree the True Oil kits are easy to use and gives good results. Post a pic when ya get time and let us see your handiwork.  :wink:  Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline jvs

Ole Betsy Make-Over
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 01:07:18 PM »
Are you kidding?  Ole Betsy doesn't wear any clothes.  And she's shy.

If I posted a pic, all you guys would start lusting after her.

All in all, I think I'll keep Ole Betsy's new looks to myself. :grin:

Offline jh45gun

Ole Betsy Make-Over
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 06:41:37 AM »
:)  :)  :shock:  :)
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Ole Betsy Make-Over
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 12:45:09 PM »
I commend you for respecting her modesty, but good heavens, man.  You're the one who stripped her in the first place!   :eek:

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline jvs

Ole Betsy Make-Over
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 09:03:50 AM »
Quote from: papajohn428
I commend you for respecting her modesty, but good heavens, man.  You're the one who stripped her in the first place!   :eek: PJ

Stripped and dismembered.  And after reassembly and a little lightning , she snorts like new !

WooooooHA HA HA HA HA HA