Author Topic: It's all a question of power...  (Read 732 times)

Offline flyingcircusboy

• Trade Count: (0)
It's all a question of power...
« on: April 13, 2004, 07:25:48 AM »
I have a .300 win mag that I want to put a new scope on. The difficulty I am having is in deciding what power to get. I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest where I would be lucky to get a shot over about two hundred yards. Right now there is a scope of unknown manufacture but it is a variable power. I have a vague recolection of reading an articel awhile ago saying that a variable power scope is more gadget than good and that a single power scope is more durable than the variable type any advice?

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 10:07:00 AM »
Sounds like you need a fixed 4 power scope.  Take a look at the Nikon Monarch.  Great Scope.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 02:45:27 AM »
Yep I think a 4x would be the nuggets also. I don't have a 4x Monarch at present, but did have, they are a FINE scope.
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline Bushnell Boy

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.hotspothunting.com/common/showsite.asp?dovend=0&id=29555
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 12:45:02 PM »
A variable scope to me is not a gadget its a tool that allows you to view your target in different ways. You shouldn't have to worry about durability except for on lower end scopes and then yes typically a fixed power is more durable.

I would recomend a 2.5-10x40 and here is why:

1. Higher magnification will help while sighting in your scope.
2. Although a 4 power scope usually has a wide field of view a 2.5 power is usually even wider. So when you are tracking a moving target it will be easier to follow in the scope.
3. Say a deer walks in really close to you. If you have to much magnification all you will see is fur but with a variable scope you can back down the magnification and get a better reference to where you are aiming at the body.
4. If you are taking longer shots say 150 yards or farther I like to be able to zoom in on my target to insure that I hit exactly where I want to.

There are benifits to fixed power scopes also, but I prefer a zoom.
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Offline flyingcircusboy

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 04:19:26 AM »
Another reason I am looking more towards a fixed power is that I want to hunt Cougar and don't want to be changing the power on my scope at a critical time. Granted now that I have written that it does seem a bit silly but I could see it happening.

Also, what about objective diameter? The 4x scopes that I have been able to find seem to be mostly 40mm but I have also seen some 32mm. What are the major differences besides the numbers?   FCB

Offline Bushnell Boy

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.hotspothunting.com/common/showsite.asp?dovend=0&id=29555
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 07:50:51 AM »
Ususally objective lens size doesn't make a big difference in field of view but it does effect the size of the exit pupil. Even with a 32mm lens the pupil size will be 8mm which is plenty. You could go down to a 20mm lens and still be ok light wise with a fixed 4 power.
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 11:51:07 AM »
Why not a VX2 1x4 scope? You would get a really wide field of view on 1x and give nothing up to a fixed 4x if you have the scope set on 4x. I like a wide field of view for fast close shooting.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline flyingcircusboy

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 02:53:01 PM »
Thanks for all your help gentlemen I feel like I can make an informed decision now. Also, I did some checking around and other than ebay, the Optic Zone really does have the lowest prices on the internet. FCB

Offline Slug-Gunner

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 03:19:57 PM »
Quote from: flyingcircusboy
Another reason I am looking more towards a fixed power is that I want to hunt Cougar and don't want to be changing the power on my scope at a critical time. Granted now that I have written that it does seem a bit silly but I could see it happening.  FCB

That's even more reason to use a variable power scope like a 2-7x32 (available in a Bushnell 3200 Elite with "Firefly" reticle and RainGuard). Even with a FIXED 4X scope things could get a little dicey with a charging cougar. The general rule when carrying a variable power scope is to keep it set at the lower settings of 2X when hunting, especially "still hunting", so that if you have to take a running or moving shot, the scope is already at optimum "field of view". If the game is further than 100 yards away, you usually have enough time to move the zoom to a higher setting, if needed. Also, at the lowest magnification you are getting maximum light transmission through the scope for any conditions you might encounter. The higher magnifications also give you the opportunity to "zoom up" and getter a better identification of your intended target if you are hunting under Quality Game Management restrictions or want to be sure that your intended target is really what you want to harvest or use your tag on.

I use a 1.75-4.5x32 Bushnell Trophy at present on my Ithaca Deerslayer slug gun and am quite happy with it.... later I intend to replace it with a 2-7x32 Bushnell Elite 3200 since I really like the RainGuard capabilities.

:eek:  :-D  :roll:
HUNT SAFELY - THINK AT ALL TIMES!

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2004, 03:07:10 AM »
IMO, avoid the 3200.

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2004, 07:58:27 AM »
Why should he avoid the 3200?
Regards,

Tom

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2004, 08:08:59 AM »
Because I don't like them. I have had a far amount of parallex problems with 2 of them, and I DON'T like the eye-relief, or lack of it I should say, especially for a 300mag.  I am not talking about shooting from a bench, but in the field in funny angles. Not enough for me.

For the about the same price you can get a VX-1 in 2-7, or a Leupold 4x. They get my vote everytime.

After 20+ years of abuse the 2-7 is still going strong, from 6 years in Alaska and every place inbetween.

I am not saying the 3200 will not hold up, but I find no reason to find out, I dance with who brought me.

Offline flyingcircusboy

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2004, 05:00:02 AM »
The "critical time" I wrote of before was not necessarily a charging cougar. I live in Washington State where the only manner of cougar hunting permitted is the "spot and stalk" or "call and be hunted" varieties. The last thing I want is to be in a tree stand with wee mr. kitty cat coming to my calls and have to bother with the setting on my scope. I actually was considering the 3200 w/ firefly due to the fact that most of my most likely hours will be dusk and dawn. I am a little surprised to here negativity towards them however especially in regards to eye releif which i thought was on par with everybody else. Do the others have a feature comprable to the firefly reticle? FCB