Author Topic: has it been a good deer season so far?  (Read 841 times)

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
has it been a good deer season so far?
« on: January 07, 2003, 05:43:03 AM »
For the most part the majority of the states are winding down the firearms part of the deer season question is has everybody been satisfied with the number of deer seen not just the deer taken you cant consider a hunt good by weather you take one or not can you??? :D   JIM

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
it was really poor in north west wis...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2003, 04:27:00 PM »
dont know if it was the weather or if the deer numbers were miss calculated.  i hope the weather was to blame.   if i have another poor year next year,  then i will surmise that the deer numbers were wrong.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2003, 02:59:45 AM »
In South Central Texas we have had record high rainfall for the past 6 months. Until the first freeze (Dec. 6 this year), the pastures all looked like late May after a wet spring. I've never seen so much green.

Deer were moving very well in good numbers in the early season. Saw 7 different young bucks and numerous does before my keeper came by on the fourth day I hunted. He was a nice 10-point with a forked left side G2. Dress weight @ 125# (nice sized deer in these parts). He had more fat on him than I have ever seen on a Texas deer.

My cousins all saw lots of deer as well. One day 8 different bucks were counted. Mostly young bucks but some more mature ones as well. Rut was kind of drawn out over the whole season, not so punctuated as is usually the case. Total harvest in my extended family group was 6 deer; four very nice eight-pointers, a spindly eight-pointer in bad body condition, and one ten-pointer. Altogether a very good season.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Joel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2003, 03:25:37 AM »
Don't know about the rest of the states, but here in the mountains of central PA, deer are reaching pest proportions.  Managed to take 3(buck and two big doe) without even tryin' real hard.  Got the buck an one doe within about 30 seconds of eachother(did the same thing last year..I'm gettin spoiled) about ten minutes after I sat down, which was good since it was -2F out when I left the house. There's still too many deer, even after the season's over.

Offline Frog123

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2003, 08:05:53 PM »
Can't complain about the season here in Tennessee. I can cry and whine a little about my muzzleloader not going off on a nice buck. When I saw him he was a ten or eleven pointer checking a scrape. Another guy killed him two weeks later out of the same stand at about the same time working the same rub/scrape line. Unfortunately, He had managed to break a few more points off reducing him to an eight. My fault, I got in a hurry and didn't get all of the bore solvent out of the barrel and fouled the powder and cap. I knew better but that was another "learning" experience. I did manage to get a five pointer, a small spike I mistook for a doe and picked up several does for the freezer. My heaviest doe I got this year was one who field dressed out at 117lbs. I'm thinkin' about having it mounted. I've been wanting a big doe to compliment the other deer on the wall. I still wasn't able to get a deer to run into a bullet fired from my Contender. Oh well, I guess I'll keep practicing, try a little harder and be a little more patient next year.  Good Luck, Good Huntin' and God Bless.........

Frog :D
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time....ES