Author Topic: new guy .243 loads preaching  (Read 792 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
new guy .243 loads preaching
« on: April 14, 2004, 08:46:08 AM »
Hi Fellas! brand new to this forum. wonderful to see so many brothers in Christ!  It is vital important that we not only are active in defending the right to bear arms, (which I find sooooo very important!) but also in defending the unborn, traditional marriage the way God ordained it, and GOOD VALUES plain and simple!  Lets be sure not to let one of those liberal morons get into the presidents seat. Sorry for all the preaching, My question is for anyone who has reloaded the h&r .243 model sb2 "ultra". It has a 24" bull bbl. i've tried all kinds of combinations with varget and h4895, 3 different kinds of primers, including match primers, and hornaday 100 gr. and speer 70 gr. bullets. by best group at 100 yds. was 2X4". I remember reading something about an o ring? /something to do with the bedding? I don't understand how this effect the accuracy when the scope mount is attached to the barrel? Also heard about wearing down the rifling with rough bullets, cant understand that one either. I thought that with a high velocity gun, you want to keep the rifling as long as possible. ANY load info or related info about the stuff I mentioned would be greatly appreciated!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
new guy .243 loads preaching
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 11:35:16 AM »
Welcome aboard Gallahad, glad to have you here. I can't help you with .243 loads, I don't have one. As far as the "o" ring it works as a method of free floating the barrel and eliminating any undue or unequal pressure on the barrel. Sometimes it works and sometimes (some guns) it's better without it, guns are individuals and like different things. Regarding the "rough" bullets you speak of, I have just shot my guns and not worried about any special "seasoning" or smoothing of the barrel and it seems it has worked well for these many years. There are standard things to consider and check, sight. scope and mount screws, tightness of forearm screw, crown of the barrel for any burrs...Shoot safely and have fun....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: new guy .243 loads preaching
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 06:27:06 PM »
Quote from: Gallahad
Hi Fellas! brand new to this forum. wonderful to see so many brothers in Christ!  It is vital important that we not only are active in defending the right to bear arms, (which I find sooooo very important!) but also in defending the unborn, traditional marriage the way God ordained it, and GOOD VALUES plain and simple!  Lets be sure not to let one of those liberal morons get into the presidents seat. Sorry for all the preaching, My question is for anyone who has reloaded the h&r .243 model sb2 "ultra". It has a 24" bull bbl. i've tried all kinds of combinations with varget and h4895, 3 different kinds of primers, including match primers, and hornaday 100 gr. and speer 70 gr. bullets. by best group at 100 yds. was 2X4". I remember reading something about an o ring? /something to do with the bedding? I don't understand how this effect the accuracy when the scope mount is attached to the barrel? Also heard about wearing down the rifling with rough bullets, cant understand that one either. I thought that with a high velocity gun, you want to keep the rifling as long as possible. ANY load info or related info about the stuff I mentioned would be greatly appreciated!

Gallahad:

Welcome Aboard :D  

Here's something else to remember when shooting the Handi's...you need to rest it on the front bags near the hinge pin...and you need to pull all the way thru with the trigger...not just till it breaks...there has been some discussion on both of these two "cures" for all of the Handi's and they do seem to help some...as far as the "o" ring in the forearm...you can use just about anything to raise the barrel up till it iis free floated...or you can go the traditional route and bed it...some work good with the "o" ring others need a contact point at the tip...and others work just fine without any modification.

Good Luck

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...