Author Topic: Storing loaded cap n' ball revolver  (Read 6713 times)

Offline les hemby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Storing loaded cap n' ball revolver
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2003, 01:28:44 PM »
Dan C if i did wind up going to court it would be harder to find a more defencable gun wouldnt it  and would work as good now as then but if its lights and smoke you want try a new ported barrel i would rather use ported gun as club than shoot in house

Offline KH

Six months later...
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2003, 12:19:58 PM »
While I've been shooting one of my 1860s I've kept both my 3" barrel 1860 and my Pedersoli derringer loaded and unfired, occasionally carrying them on hikes or camping trips, for over six months. While winters in my part of Nebraska are dry, spring and early summer humidity levels average 80%.

I loaded the unfired 1860 with a Wonder Wad over 30 grs of 777. The Pedersoli has a screw barrel that allows you to pour about 10 grs of powder in a cup-like depression in the frame at the breech end of the barrel, place the .44 ball on top and screw the barrel back on. I keep the Pedersoli in the hollowed out book that came with the gun and leave the 1860 on my night stand (I live alone so I don't have to worry about others handling them), so neither are in an enclosed or particularly protected area.  I recently shot them both and they performed just like they were recently loaded.

Not very scientific perhaps, but the fact that they both performed without problems gives me confidence that a loaded percussion revolver/pistol can be left loaded for extended periods and be a viable choice for home defense.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2003, 09:11:04 AM »
KH

Just out of curosity, is your place air conditioned?  That changes the interior humidity to more liveable levels.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline KH

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2003, 12:31:14 AM »
My house has central air, but since nights get down to the upper 60s, I turn it off for about 12 hours each evening/morning except during the hottest weather. Upon reflection though, I think I exagerated the humidity level a bit. It averages more like 70% in my house during the summer here, with about 45% in winter.

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Stored for 6 months?
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2003, 01:26:41 PM »
No pitting to the cylinder walls?

Dan C

Offline KH

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2003, 12:24:56 AM »
My eyes aren't what they used to be, but I can't detect any pitting so far. Maybe it's cumulative and will show up after a while, but so far so good. But even if the cylinders do pit, these replicas aren't exactly Colts!

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2003, 05:58:18 AM »
I have on occasion loaded and charged cylinders a day before shooting them. Capping is another story. I would think that it would be risky if the cap were to go off. I have heard of someone saying friction on the gel would be able to set a cap off, so I would think that prying caps off would be a big risk too. I think leaving a C&B charged but not capped would be very prudent. It don't take much on them I know from experience as I had one go off when I accidently sucked one through a shop vac. No damage, except to my nerves, but there wasn't any powder in there either. In this day and age I wouldn't even consider a C&B for a defense gun personally.
However, they sure are fun to shoot . :-)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2003, 07:19:47 AM »
Being that I was truly destined for a different time period, the only guns I own were out of date circa 1873.  I have never been fond of keeping loaded guns around as thankfully I have never felt that I needed one for protection.  A few years ago while camping I did take a smoothbore pistol I have.  I believe it is the New Orleans Ace pistol, ~41 cal, a cheap kit from Dixie.   I loaded it with 22 grains BP a wad, 3 .32 cal balls and about 10 bbs, followed by another wad.   I drilled a hole through the grip and tied my capper to it.  I fired it off before we left and was real impressed with the results.   At 5 yards someone would have been in serious trouble.  I still have it and while I rarely fire it, it has gone on several more camping trips.