Author Topic: New 45-70 project underway  (Read 999 times)

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
New 45-70 project underway
« on: April 15, 2004, 08:40:21 AM »
Well I finally found a Savage 30-30 over 20 gauge. I told the guy who has it I would trade him my H&R 450 marlin. He said OK. I think this is a good deal because I have seen the Savage selling for around 300.00 used. So, know I need another big bore single shot. Since I have a extra reciever I was going to send it back for a 22'' 45-70 barrel and a FP reciever sight. Next thing is I want a Fire site on the front. I already have a synthetic stock and forearm. This set up should make a fine woods gun. Were is the best place to get a fire site for the front. Can not waite till monday to send my reciever out. Shoot, while I'm at it I might as well get another 44 mag barrel. So many choices and so little money.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 08:48:46 AM »
Is the front sight a dove tail or screwed in?

Anyway, you might try http://www.williamsgunsight.com/ and look under rifle beads, they list all different heights, hopefully one like what you're looking for!

The big advantage to the williams firesight over others is the williams is steel (cnc machined) with a fiber inserted, not plastic.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 08:59:00 AM »
The front site is like the other NEF's. They are screwed on. Thanks for the web address to Williams.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 09:08:52 AM »
Scruffy I did not see anything listed for the NEF or H&R. Unless I'm over looking them. The ones I seen were all ramp style. I think I better call them to see what they have.

BBF

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 11:04:42 AM »
Allllright BBF that is about enough.  First you get a 357 and chamber it for the max.  Then you get a 44 and work on you 445 supermag project.  Now you are getting a 45/70 and putting the fire sight and williams ghost ring sight on.  I am getting a little sick and tired of you giving me ideas on new gun projects :grin: next thing you know you will decide you need to get a hornet and re-chamber it to the KHornet before I get around to it :eek: .  Anyway I have been on Midway and found the williams sight , fire sight, front ramp, and fire sight hood that I am planning on putting on the max, when H&R gets it back to me.

I had the good fortune to shoot Skeeter Skeltons Ruger #1 in 45/70 with the Garret 500 grn hammerhead rounds once.  First of all I think this would blow a handi into little bitty pieces but second is it kicked like a mack truck.  

Now I just want to know which one you are going to take deer hunting first :grin: decisions, decisions.
I must be crazy.

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 11:15:24 AM »
22KHornet  :D I thought about a KHornet but decided against it since I have a 223 My income tax gets deposited tommorrow. So, Monday the reciever goes in the mail for a 45-70 and 44 mag barrel. :grin:  I'll order the 445 reamer from Manson Reamers in a couple weeks for the 445 project. :-D I'll check with Midway and see how much that site runs. As far as what rifle I use for hunting season I got a new plan. Every caliber goes on a small peice of paper then goes in a hat. Draw all of them out of the hat and record the sequence and them rotate them by days. :-D Otherwise I'll just confuse myself trying to decide. :?

BBF