Author Topic: Ruger OLD ARMY Upgrades  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Old No7

• Trade Count: (0)
Ruger OLD ARMY Upgrades
« on: April 15, 2004, 04:28:46 PM »
Curious whether you guys have made any upgrades or modifications to your Ruger Old Army cap 'n ball revolvers.  I got some tips from a guy who used to shoot one in the NMLRA Territorial Matches, and based on that conversation, my Old Army now has:

* new springs added (from Brownell's)
* removed the grooves from factory trigger (nice & smooth now)
* honed the hammer for a crisp 2.5# trigger pull
* polished all the pins
* made a new "partridge" style front sight blade (for target work)
* installed a Millett rear sight (wide, flat blade -- better than original)
* installed a trigger-stop of aluminum tubing behind the trigger plunger (this works slick, but it takes much trial and error to fit)
* added silver/black laminated grips

All in all, I really love the way my Old Army shoots now.  But I guess I could be accused of going overboard just a little -- though that would not be the first time...  The best part is when guys see me firing it at the range, they usually ask if they can try a cylinder full.

Depending on how well you know them or not, it's fun to be target shooting with 20 or 25 grains and getting tiny groups.  Then, you load it up for them with 30 or 40 grains -- gee, their groups don't look like yours and they are amazed at how much recoil there is!!!

Recoil???  Nah, you just gotta get used to it, that's all...

Tight groups!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
Ruger OLD ARMY Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 05:53:54 PM »
I polished all my friction points, shimmed my hammers to fall dead center in the groove, adjusted my timing a tad, installed Treso nipples and Brownells springs. I have very good reliability without going further, but I have thought I might have someone do the forcing cones for me. Other things I needed to do was open up my rear sight notch and file them for POA and I installed checkered gunfighter grips.  I like my SS 5 1/2s alot. I don't even shoot my 7 1/2s anymore.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Ruger OLD ARMY Upgrades
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 11:30:33 PM »
Had my buddy do an trigger and action job on it. Had Clements bore the chambers deaper so it would hold about 8 grians more powder. Put a set of lett grips on it future plans are a bowen rear sight and possible the barrel cut to 5 1/2
blue lives matter

Offline Jack Crevalle

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Ruger OLD ARMY Upgrades
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 12:55:14 AM »
I put on some imitation antler grips. I didn't like the fact that I was soaking the walnut grips when I cleaned it in hot, soapy water.

Offline Mike C

• http://mattbeltonoutfitters.com
old army
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 03:01:16 PM »
Right now Mr. Clements is converting mine to a .50 five shot with a 6 3/4" octagon barrell.  Should be ready in August.   Mike C