Author Topic: Plastic Vials  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Jack Crevalle

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Plastic Vials
« on: April 16, 2004, 06:40:26 AM »
Anybody know where to get some plastic vials in quantity with stoppers for carrying pre-measured powder charges? I'm interested in some hobby or medical supplier so I can pay what they are worth, not a firearms company that wants to sell me 5 for $10.

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Plastic Vials
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 06:52:49 AM »
Jack, what kind of quantity do you have in mind?  

Find someone who smokes Garcia y Vega English Corona cigars.  Each cigar comes in a light brown plastic tube with a darker brown plastic insert cap at the end.  They look to have a consistant inside diameter so I would think they could be cut to any size needed and the cap still work.

If you buy the cigars I would be happy to send the empties to you.  However if you would like to try a few of these tubes send me an e-mail and I will send you a few to try.

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
Plastic Vials
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 06:53:32 AM »
What size are you looking for?  I am a chemist and during a product show, I picked up about 100 1 dram plastic vials.   They hold about 25-30 grains fffg.  You can often find them in various sizes but I am not sure these supply companies will sell to an individual.  Try Fisher Scientific, and VWR

https://www1.fishersci.com/index.jsp

http://www.vwrsp.com/

Offline Jack Crevalle

• A Real Regular
Plastic Vials
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 08:09:11 AM »
Quote from: MOGorilla
What size are you looking for?  I am a chemist and during a product show, I picked up about 100 1 dram plastic vials.   They hold about 25-30 grains fffg.  You can often find them in various sizes but I am not sure these supply companies will sell to an individual.  Try Fisher Scientific, and VWR

https://www1.fishersci.com/index.jsp

http://www.vwrsp.com/

That sounds like what I'm interested in only perhaps larger so I can use them with my rifle as well. Thanks.

Offline Old No7

Plastic Vials...
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 02:42:14 PM »
MOGorilla is right about contacting Fisher or VWR for tubes...

The best part is, you'll also get to choose the type of "additive" inside the tubes -- EDTA for a preservative, stuff to make blood clot, serum-separator tubes, etc.  And wait until you see the wide selection of colors for the tops!  (Each has its own meaning)   :shock:

So, just be sure to get "plain" tubes (no additives).   :wink:

Better yet, check with a Doc or nurse in your area to see if you can get some "out of date" tubes from their supplies inventory.  They will have to dispose of outdated tubes per some internal policy, but you might offer to do that for them.  It's worth a call...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH

Offline Shorty

Plastic Vials
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 04:14:09 PM »
Krupinski,
Those Garcia & Vega tubes hold .69 balls perfectly!
Mo,
I'm a machinist, not a chemist, so I get tubes that small endmills or boring bars come in.  I have a bunch that hold 55 gr. FFG and they're watertight.  One who knows a tool salesman or tradesman might latch onto something suitable.

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
Plastic Vials
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 07:35:20 PM »
Wife got a whole bunch from a coin shop.  She uses them for storing her beads and needles.
Singing Bear

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
Plastic Vials
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2004, 06:15:01 AM »
A couple years ago while wandering the parts dept at the truck dealership I worked at, I came across a box of soft urethane tubes. They are sold to replace the ends of fiberglass CB antennas that are mounted on trucks. Seems that rubbing trees and such tears them off and then reception fades without them. I got them to order me up 100 of the rascals and my employee cost was around $12 for them. I use them all the time now when I am going to shoot C&Bs. I fill each tube with my 30 gr load using a Lee dipper and simply stick a ball in the end to hold the powder. I make up about 70 of them for a 6 stage shoot and just toss them in the guncart. I then grab ten for each stage and commence to load each pistol with 5. All I have to do is work the ball out of the soft plastic tube and squeeze the tube into a sort of funnel and pour into chamber. I then add a lubed wad which I carry in copanhagen cans and then ball and ram. This system works way better for me than flask and measures. Fast to reload too. Plus you get to answer many questions about what are those and whatcha doing?  :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline jgalar

Plastic Vials
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2004, 06:54:24 AM »
You can buy clear plastic tubing or various inside diameter at home depot and other places. Seal off one end with a piece of wooden dowel and hot glue and cap the other with a bolt or round ball.

Offline weinstein

Vials
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2004, 05:35:17 PM »
I've been thinking about the same thing for a while.  Here's the best looking option I've found, they're see through unbreakable polyethylene vials with attached stoppers so you can't lose 'em.

They're about five or six bucks for ten, slightly lower if you buy 'em by the hundred.  Various sizes are available.

I found them at an electron microscopy supply house: http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/vials.aspx?mm=8

Hope this helps... I've got a few on the way myself.

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
Plastic Vials
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004, 02:15:20 AM »
While you are at it, you might look for a item called a vial file.  It is a plastic container with cardboard insert made to hold 70-100 small vials.  We chemists use them all the time.  Very hand.  I currently have 200 premeasured rounds for both army and navy.  Easy to keep track of as I use different colored lids for each caliber.   Good luck and good shootin.

Offline Jack Crevalle

• A Real Regular
Plastic Vials
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2004, 05:45:36 AM »
The problem I have now is that some of these places have the vials list in MilliLiters and I have no idea how to calulate how many ml's I need since grains is a weight and ml's is a volume.

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
Plastic Vials
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2004, 07:22:27 AM »
3.6 milliliters = 1 dram = 27.5 grains.  

This is a pretty close conversion, I have 1 dram vials, and they hold 25 grains with a little room left.

Offline Jack Crevalle

• A Real Regular
Plastic Vials
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2004, 07:38:34 AM »
Gracias.

Offline tryit

Plastic Vials
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2004, 03:12:42 AM »
A good vial source for pistol powder go to the NSSA web site and there are a large amount of sutlers listed that have the soft plastic vials that come in .36 and .44. I premeasure the powder and stuff a ball in the top. I use both and they are faster than flask and ball. My problem is that they do not have them in .31. Tryit.

Offline Jack Crevalle

• A Real Regular
Plastic Vials
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2004, 03:35:07 AM »
Quote from: tryit
A good vial source for pistol powder go to the NSSA web site and there are a large amount of sutlers listed that have the soft plastic vials that come in .36 and .44. I premeasure the powder and stuff a ball in the top. I use both and they are faster than flask and ball. My problem is that they do not have them in .31. Tryit.

I went to the The Neutron Scattering Society of America (NSSA), got their email address and asked them about vials for holding blackpowder for cap and ball revolver shooting. They told me not to email them again.

Offline tryit

Plastic Vials
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2004, 05:50:09 AM »
Jack, that is the North South Skirmish Association. I think the web address is n-ssa.org. We have been shooting these pistols for a very long time and the loading with vials is all that is allowed when we shoot for score. Go to the sutler listing and most have e-mail and find out how much and what type. My vials are color coded for .36 and .44. Tryit.

Offline Jack Crevalle

• A Real Regular
Plastic Vials
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2004, 01:12:45 PM »
I was kidding. Put NSSA into a search engine sometime though.

Thanks.

Offline jjcoe

Plastic Vials
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2004, 09:20:10 PM »
I may have come in on this subject a little late, but one good source for all types of plastic bottles, vials, and packaging items is Consolidated Plastics.  They have what they call tube-paks that look like the perfect thing for carrying extra charges for bp revolvers.  Comes in 6 foot sections that you can cut to length for your specific powder charge, and comes in a variety of diameters starting at 7/16in.   Has caps that slip over the ends.  They have a web site.

http://www.consolidatedplastics.com

Hope this helps.

Offline highlander

Plastic Vials
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2004, 08:25:48 AM »
Jack,
I'm sorta new to forums, but been around black powder for over 40 years.  Don't know what you are shooting, but Dixie sells rubber tubes designed for various calibers.  They are not expensive and come in packages of fifty.  You put your powder in the tube and place the bullet on top.  Believe it or not they are water proof.  I use them for my .36 and .44 revolvers.  I have inadvertently soaked loaded tubes in hot soapy water for several hours.  When I popped the balls the powder was dry.  I believe they also come in .50 and .54 calibers.

Offline chuckles

Plastic Vials
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2004, 04:14:04 PM »
Brownells sells a bunch of clear plastic tubing in different diameters that you cut to your required lengths and they also have caps for each end. Several diameters are available. Lengths are about 24-36" before you cut to length. They sell an assorted box with caps.