Author Topic: ruger Bisley??  (Read 756 times)

Offline lubbockdave

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
ruger Bisley??
« on: April 18, 2004, 05:16:17 AM »
Does the Bisley/bisley Vaquero grip really do much to lessen the recoil? I'm looking at getting a 44 mag to put on my hip while out hunting birds in case we run into hogs, but I don't like recoil all that much--I have a hard time with my 357 GP100 shooting 158 grain factory ammo more than 8-10 shots in a row without rest. BUT in a hunting situation hopefully 1 shot is all it will take, so the gun is more for hunting purposes instead of plinking...

I guess I am looking for one with managable recoil, good accuracy out to 75 yards with factory sites, light enough to carry all day, not real expensive, but will knock down 250-300++# hogs. I'm thinking the a used ruger vaquero with a 5-6 inch barrel fits the description.

I could also use it at the range plinking with 44 spl's, and it would make a great "little buddy" to my Marlin 44mag!

What do ya'll think?

Dave

Offline JohnK

• Trade Count: (0)
ruger Bisley??
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 10:58:39 AM »
The GP100 is a great 357, but the heaviest loads you can put through it don't compare at all to heavy hunting 44 Magnum loads. The Bisley grip is very good at help redirect recoil, but with hunting loads it's still going to recoil A LOT more than the GP100. I have both a GP100 and Bisley (45 Colt but for this discussion that doesn't make a difference) and with the heaviest loads the Bisley feels like it has at least twice the recoil of the GP100 to my hands.

I'm not trying to scare you, but if you can only handle 1 cylinder plus a couple rounds of 357 before resting it will take a long time to work up to hunting 44 Mag loads. The good news is there's no reason you can't do that, just don't jump right to the 300gr Buffalo Bore loads. :)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
ruger Bisley??
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 05:38:10 PM »
Not trying to insult you or hurt your feelings but honestly if what you have said is all truthful you really should get a lever action rifle in .44 Magnum and forget using a handgun on hogs.

Even a .44 mag is not gonna do what you want every time and to do it you sure need to practice with it a LOT and if you are afraid of the recoil or feel it is too punishing you're not gonna shoot it.

Now I suspect that it might not be the recoil so much as the noise that is your problem. Could be I'm wrong on this but honestly the recoil of a .357 Magnum like your GP100 is almost nothing. When compared to the recoil of a .44 Magnum it is like a pop gun. If you become uncomfortable due to recoil after 8-10 rounds then you need to do one of two things. Either give up handgun hunting OR go back to square one and learn to shoot a handgun again all over and do it right this time.

Right is to use hearing protection on EVERY shot. Right is to start with a .22LR and stay with it until you are proficient in the use of it. Then move to a .38 Special and shoot it until you shoot it as well as you do the LR. Then move to the .357 Magnum and begin using light bullet loads and work your way up to the heavier bullets. NEVER EVER pull the trigger on that .357 Mag without hearing protection. It is about the worst offender of them at hurting your ears and that more than recoil is why most folks don't shoot handguns well.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jhm

ruger Bisley??
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 02:51:40 AM »
DVE :   If the law allows it while bird hunting and you are concerned about running into a hog make sure the first shell up in the tube is a slug and forget the handguns like graybeard suggested, I killed a 290 lb hog this past fall and at that time wished I had a lot larger handgun, I shoot almost daily here on the farm and like you have been told handgun shooting requires alot of practice, if not willing to put it into effect dont even think about going after a hog with a handgun, after all hunting is supposed to be fun and the fun can get turned around with a mad hog after you. :)  :D    JIM

Offline lubbockdave

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
ruger Bisley??
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 11:21:20 AM »
fella's ,

thank for the advise, but...
My hands/wrists are going into early arthritic changes, making recoil tough. it is not the noise-when at the range/shootng for fun i always use hearing protection. with the 357 i can shoot 38's all day and hit 97% at 50 yards--90% at 75 yards--if i put in 357's i do the same only SLOWER as i give my hands a break between. i could proly tolerate more but i am not really into punishing myself. I figure i could do the same with a 44-plink/learn with spl's and hunt with mags. Also-most any hog i feel i can get within 25-50 yards without getting busted. I do like the idea of using slugs, but my 12 gauge has a thin wall choke system installed and i'd be afraid to send a slug down that barrel!! I coul go with the 20 gauge though...
I do have a marlin 44 mag, but carry it and a shotgun really puts a damper on your hunting...

Offline safetysheriff

ruger Bisley??
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 02:14:29 PM »
Years ago my wife had arthritic symptoms from caring for/lifting up our severely handicapped son.    I got her a bottle of vitamin D capsules and had her take 4 a day for a few weeks to finish the bottle.     It was all she needed.     A few years later she had to repeat the treatment, but 100 capsules of vitamin D is cheap, so who cares!

Handling recoil in a handgun is different than with a rifle -- certainly for me, anyways.     A rifle should be held tight to the shoulder, but a handgun seems to need a rather relaxed hold (consistent from one shot to the next, however).    My .44's are fine as long as I don't grip them like I do a breaker bar tightening down a set of lugnuts.     The tight grip is what seems to hurt me with the heavy loads I sometimes practice with.    The installation of a Hogue monogrip on my Super BlackHawk has been a great help in reducing recoil....even better perhaps than the Bisley I used to own.    

Consider a short barrel to reduce the barrel time for your projectile, and get a heavy, stainless steel revolver to help combat the recoil as well.     I recommend a Super BlackHawk with 5 1/2" barrel if your eyesight is good with that somewhat reduced sight radius.

Good shooting.
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
ruger Bisley??
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 06:40:48 PM »
Dave,
I shoot a Ruger Bisley SBH.  For me, the Bisley grip fits my hand better than the SBH grip.  The grip on the standard SBH let the gun roll in my hand and the knuckle of my second finger took the brunt of it.  The Bisley grip directs the recoil straight back without that "roll" and knuckle bashing.  However, the recoil is still there...just in a different direction.  The Bisley grip is easier on my hand and fingers, but harder on the wrist.
For less felt recoil you might want to look at a Super Redhawk with Hogue grips.  It's heavier and more awkward to carry than a short barreled Bisley, but it might help you with your recoil problem.  Hope this helps.
Best,
TnNuc

Offline Deaf Smith

• Contributor
magnum revolvers
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 07:35:24 AM »
Dave, Why not just use the magnum you already have just change your ammo. what you need is a heavyweight bullet that will penatrate something like the new federal heavy hard cast lead ammo I beleave they are 180 grain hard cast lead at magnum velicity good for penatration and you can use your 357. THus no new expence for a new gun and you are using a gun you can already handle. Carry 6 in the gun 6 more in a speedloader and perhaps 18 in a mtm ammo wallet in your back pocket. some of those can be shot loads for snakes if you wish as well. but you will be more comfortable using a gun you are familiar with. The 357 may be a little light for hogs but you are using it for defence not hunting them. Perhaps a slug or two in your pocket might make some sence as well.
This seems to be the best way to go for you. JMHO
Jim L
Jim L
Proud TFL alumnus

Invalid e-mail address. TOS Violation. Acct. Deactivated