Author Topic: Gas checks on paper patch bullets  (Read 956 times)

Offline zrifleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Gas checks on paper patch bullets
« on: April 19, 2004, 01:26:14 PM »
I am new to this forum but not new to bullet swaging. About 25 yrs ago I bought my first press and dies from Dave Corbin. This may not be of any real value--I just wanted to try it to see if I could do it. I put gas checks on the base of my 45 caliber rifle paper patched bullets. 45 cal gas checks are too small so I used .475 caliber gas checks. I opened them up a little with a punch that I made. I found it's best to run them thru the .476 sizer die first, then thru a .457 die. I loaded 10rds of 500 gr bullets in my 45-90 for a test. If anyone is interested I will give the results.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 02:36:08 PM »
What an idea!  Was the paper relatively thin and did the checks go over the paper tail wrapped at the bottom?

Definitely interested in hearing the results.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline zrifleman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 01:59:30 PM »
I use .002 paper, 100% cotton rag. The bullets are swaged in a Corbin press and dies to about .448 and patched 2 wraps to .456. The bullets are hollow base--the patch pigtail is tucked in the base. To me the most fragile part of a paperpatch bullet is the base. I wanted to see if the gas check could be used to protect the base.  If you ever recover a fired gas check bullet, you will find that the G.C. is locked firmly on the bullet from obturation and the rifling engraving. The bullet should not be able to strip the rifling under normal circumstances--nor should the G.C. be able to come off in flight.

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 05:01:09 AM »
:D Wouldn't the G.C. prevent the paper from coming off after exiting the muzzle like it should to prevent the paper from interfering with the bulletÂ’s flight characteristics?

Donna :wink:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 10:19:38 AM »
If the bullet is going 2000 fps (easy to do for a 500 gr .458 Win Mag but a little rugged on the shoulder) it's going at least Mach II.  I don't think the paper stands a chance.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline zrifleman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 10:41:32 AM »
The gas check actually cuts the paper when it is crimped on. Accuracy did not seem to suffer. So far I only fired 10 rds. The verdict is still out.