Author Topic: TRACKER II SLUG RANGE UPDATE.......  (Read 765 times)

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
TRACKER II SLUG RANGE UPDATE.......
« on: April 20, 2004, 02:03:33 PM »
:grin: I got several groups just like this at 50 yds (well....48 yds paced) with Winchester Super-X BRI 3", 1oz. slugs (sabot). Initially, they hit 10" low. I reset the rear sight to the middle of its range, and slowly filed the front sight to bring the POI up. This last group is what I got, about 2" high, with room on the rear sight for fine tuning. Winchester says that 2.4" high at 50 yds is a 100 yd zero.....I had only bought a few boxes (@ 7.50 @), and 100 yds was not available at this shooting range...to verify.

This group may look like it's a little spread out, but please understand that in the sight-in process, I got 4 consecutive groups just like it!!!! :P
I have not had  great deal of consistancy in 1oz slugs previous to this, except for one type of Brenneke. THEY also hit 10" low, so I would expect the front sight to be regulated pretty well for them, as well!

Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 03:45:38 PM »
Nice group Offhand...Especially with rifle sites...Keep up the good work.  Does filing your front site cause it to rust when exposed to the elements?  Do you do anything to seal it when you are done filing?
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 02:15:51 AM »
:grin: Thanks, WNY_W!
At first I thought I would be expecting the groups to be tighter, BUT you're right, they are with open sights. Also, with 4 nearly identical 3 shot groups, I suppose the load has proven itself!

As to the front sight, it is now freshly exposed metal, and I intend to blue it with Birchwood Casey Perma Blue. This comes out pretty black, depending on number of applications, and works well.
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 07:00:28 AM »
Very good...Those groups are good enough to stretch that Tracker II to 100 yards and beyond as long as you can see that far.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense