Author Topic: A problem that I like  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
A problem that I like
« on: April 20, 2004, 04:07:50 PM »
I ran into an old friend today with a problem, the problem is that one of his Buffalo has escaped and he  wants me to shoot the thing and help him quarter it .  The thing is a little on the mean side and he gets put up a tree everytime he tries to run it home,and the nieghbor that has it in his pasture wants it out. Now the question is; will the 45 70 300 gr. win. stuff be better behind the shoulder or in the neck. I'm also thinking about using my new 280 barrel or my 300 Wby.  Its 2 1/2 yrs. old heifer.
Any comments anyone?   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
A problem that I like
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 04:30:10 PM »
i don't know the first thing about buffalo ,but i watch a lot of tv. and a few days ago i watch a guy with a 7-08 handgun drop one by shooting it 4 inches behind the ear. take your best gun (of the three you said) and shoot him in the neck . should die , just make sure your back 75-100yrads so if it doesn't you got a headstart
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Deadeye47

• Trade Count: (0)
A problem that I like
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 05:34:48 PM »
W0W! :shock: Now that is a problem a lot of guys would like to have...I think the 45-70 would do the trick (there's been more than a couple taken with one over the years :roll: ) and there are more than a few that would like to know how the bullet performed. I wish I could go and video tape the deal for ya! That would be a nice tape to have on the shelf..... 8)
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
A problem that I like
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 05:56:37 PM »
Hey digger, are you going to get a steak out of the dea :)  :) l?? :-D   :-D  :-D
I would put 45 pill right behind the ear, unless you get a head on shot,
thence draw a line cross from horns to the eyes where the lines cross is where you wants to put the pill  Good luck, Marv

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
A problem that I like
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 07:09:37 PM »
Digger
I have never shot a buffalo but on the other singleshot forums (Sharps) there are many that have.  I'd venture to guess none of them would recommend the 300JHP.  I'd say at least go with the 405 if using factory only loads.

If handloads go with the heaviest, best constructed bullet you have.

If you MUST use the 300, go with a head shot.  There is a LOT of animal to penetrate.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
A problem that I like
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 08:01:09 PM »
DO NOT TRY A HEAD ON HEAD SHOT!  Their skull is much heavier than a Domestic cows.  Go for the behind the ear shot ONLY if you are real close, and you are deffinately sure of the shot.  Other wise go with a 500 grain bullet in the heart lung area with the 45-70.  I have talked to, and went with several people that have shot Buffalo up here.  We have a big herd at Delta, 80 miles south of here.  That is one of the biggest hunts in the state.  Having accompanied several poeple that got drawn and have killed them, I do know a little bit about the subject.  It is hard to get close without being detected.  Their skull is much heavier than a reguler domestic steer, or cow will have.  Shots to the head will not work like it does with a domestic steer.  Since you said it chases the owner if he tries driving it, the animal will probably come after you if you try to get close.  I think the safest thing would be a heart lung shot, since the target is much bigger.  You don't have to get as close, meaning you have a chance to remain undetected.  At least you have a better chance to get away if you are seen.  Up here the state requires that you use a gun that will retain over 2000lbs of energy at 100 yards to hunt Bison.  That knocks out anything smaller than a 30-06.  A 45-70 with a 400gr bullet gives 2372 ft lbs of energy at 100 yards.  The neck is even a worse place to try a shot because you have a very small area to hit inside a massive neck.  This animal is not like a deer, with a scrawney little neck, that you can hardly miss the spine in.  There is a lot of heavy muscle around the spine, and a lot of hair, giving the false impression of where the neck really is.  Good luck and go with the .300 or the 45-70.  Both are good choices.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
A problem that I like
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 03:32:57 AM »
Digger - I'll go with ya and video the whole thing if ya want. Do ya got a camera? If not I got a friend who'll let me borrow his I imagine. Let me know when you're going. I'd like to go just to watch!  8)   :D
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Deadeye47

A problem that I like
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 03:42:10 AM »
OK..lik2hunt! I'll be wanting a copy of that video....i think you should have a second back up video taken of you and digger that way it will catch the action of both of ya'll runnin to get away from that thing!!  :-D
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
A problem that I like
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 04:01:49 AM »
Digger, I've got a friend that is feeding out a buffalo right now and wants to shoot it and butcher it when it gets fully grown.  I'll probably load some 500 grain cast bullets for him to do it with when he's ready.  

I'd agree with Sourdough.  If you have acess to them or can reload some, put together some heavy cast bullets and go for the behind the shoulder shot.  

Sure wish I could come down there and watch :grin:

Oh well, maybe I'll get to see the video.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
A problem that I like
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 04:13:29 AM »
I'm gonna have to agree with Sourdough on this one too.....Don't try for the head.  While working at meat packing plants, I have had the oportunity to slaughter a couple bison.  We used a .22lr in the head(although at a distance of about 3ft, and those were a year to a year and a half old).  Don't get me wrong, under the right circumstances, any of the guns you said, loaded with the right bullet will drop a buffalo if shot in the head.  I wouldn't stake my butt on that though.  They have ALOT of hair over the head and shoulders(i.e. 4-5" +), that makes for an accurate shot very difficult.  There neck is also set up differently, with the spine lower than a regular steer.  Ultimately, it's your decision, but if it were me, I would probably take the 45/70 with a heavy cast bullet(for the nostalgic aspect), and aim for the back edge of the shoulder, about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the chest(maybe a bit higher).

~~~Cattleskinner
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
A problem that I like
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 07:12:22 AM »
I was watching the History Channel last night and they had a program on called Wild West Tech or something like that.  They talked about the Sharps rifle in 50-90.  They said that it was the premier Buffalo gun of the day(1875-???)  Pretty interesting...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
A problem that I like
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2004, 09:09:45 AM »
I've got some 405 gr. no.2 alloy cast bullets,load them to about 1400 fps.? I may have to use a bow if the other land owner objects to a rifle.
Digger

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
A problem that I like
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2004, 09:17:14 AM »
ditchdigger
Don't know how familiar you are with archery, and I don't mean insult you, but I'd strongly suggest 60# minimum pull and heavy arrow with strong 2 edge broadhead, razor sharp.  Magnus or Zwickey preferred.  Have read several articles where replaceable blade heads have failed on these heavy boned animals.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
A problem that I like
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2004, 09:27:37 AM »
Quote from: Ditchdigger
I may have to use a bow if the other land owner objects to a rifle.
Digger

You're a braver man than I!!!  Get in a ring with a buffalo with an attitude with only a bow.  I'd use your 45-70, and have someone you trust to back you up with your 300 wby.  

If you can't find a backup to shoot the wby find someone you don't like who runs slower than you do.  :wink:

If the farmer says bow only I'd hand that farmer my bow and tell him I'll have 911 pre dialed in my cell phone already to press send.....  :roll:

I've been chased by more than one mean bull.  And when they're hurt alot of times they get alot meaner.  :eek:

I might seem over cautious, but any animal that big, and that close, and mean, should have two rifles pointed at it.  IMHO.

Oh, and double knot you're running shoes.  :wink:

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline ogo

A problem that I like
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2004, 09:51:44 AM »
Digger,I got it figgured out,45/70 405 gr slug out the window of a pickup. keep motor running and at least half tank of gas LOL

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
A problem that I like
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2004, 12:07:40 PM »
Takeing the thing with a bow does'nt bother me at all, The bow will crank to 84 pds. with 2514 arrows and a 32" draw lenght. My last 10 deer kills averaged 61  yds per shot. Anyway I talked to the guy again and the neighbor has decided it's kinda cool to have a Buffalo grazing with his cattle.
My friend will let me know something in about 3 wks. so I'll just have to wait.    Digger

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
A problem that I like
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2004, 12:53:05 PM »
Ok 2 things - I'll wait the three weeks if ya want to, give me a little advance notice and I'll get that video cam.
2nd - I am your friend but I do run slower than you do so I'm all for the out the window shot with the engine running, I'll ride in the p/u bed and video the whole thing.....heck it'll be just like an African safari shoot...oops I mean Okie redneck shoot. YeeeeeeeHaw!  :D

Hey maybe we'll make the Outdoor Channel. I'm sure we would if we had someone else video us doing this huh?  :)
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Bis

• Avid Poster
A problem that I like
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2004, 02:02:29 PM »
You have to use the 45/70, its just the historic thing. The show that WNY__Whitetailer was talking about also mentioned that at one time there were 2 "Wild Bills" and they had a shoot off at buffalo to see who would retain the name "WILD Bill". One used a 44 Win. and the other used a converted civil war musket in 45/70. The 44 took an average of 3 shoots per kill and I believe the 45/70 was one. At any rate, the 45/70 won.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
A problem that I like
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2004, 02:05:32 PM »
Hey Liktohunt; I've got it figured out, we send Marv in and when it starts chasing him he can run by the truck ( my Freighliner with the dump bed) You can film, and I'll shoot at it. Marv's a rancher and its calving time here, so he's getting lots of practice dodging cows with new calves.
Digger

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
A problem that I like
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2004, 02:52:09 PM »
Ditch Digger, My cows are gentle I don't have to dodge them.
walk around them scratch them on the head. you have fun with
your bufflo heifer. Marv.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
A problem that I like
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2004, 03:04:48 PM »
There are a lot of good points these guys have already made, put them together. I like the idea of a backup, so take a friend along to handle the .300 Weatherby as a backup. The 45/70 is, at least to me, the obvious choice. It already has the size, but don't handicap it by using the 300 gr. HP, go with a round that will give you the penetration to go along with the size. This calls for a hardcast load, in the heaviest weight you can chamber. The 405 is a good penetrator for factory ammo, but if you can reload, go for the hardcast, and watch them hit the dirt after exiting the Buf.
Don

Offline Deadeye47

A problem that I like
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2004, 08:48:56 AM »
So who is going to split that thing open and chomp on the liver(Keven Cosner style) after it goes down for the big dirt nap? :roll: No need to fight over it...determine who gets it before the shot!  :)

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
A problem that I like
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2004, 09:29:29 AM »
Deadeye I'll leave that honor to Liktohunt, he has a hungry look to him. But on the other side, I am part Creek Indian, so I may join him. Digger

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
A problem that I like
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2004, 03:44:09 PM »
Digger I will defer the liver eating to you or maybe marv if he joins us. Not much on the raw buff heart or liver, got a little indian in me but not that much. I will volunteer to handle that 300 Weatherby though, I'll shoot him with it after you get knocked on your butt by the 45-70 - 405 gr. hardcast load....ouch!
  :)  :D

P.S. I hope you can bang them gears in that Freightliner pretty fast  :jeep:  :bye:
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Deadeye47

A problem that I like
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2004, 04:57:20 AM »
Well.. you guys can do that indian thing if ya want to with the liver but count me out!! Bon Apitite!! :shock: Now if we're talkin 'rare steak'...then don't let your hand get between my plate and my mouth!!! You might get hurt.... :)

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Buff
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2004, 05:30:46 AM »
3 inches behind the ear; he'll go down like a ton of bricks.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
Buffalo
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2004, 05:07:36 AM »
How about an update on the Buffalo? I know we are all waiting for the video. :lol:  :lol:
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
A problem that I like
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2004, 11:07:59 AM »
The irate landowner suddenly decided it was cool to have a Buffalo grazing with his cattle. So everything is on hold for now, they are going to try to pen the buff. with the cattle in 3 wks.
If that does'nt work, then the Buffalo hunt is on again.  Digger