Author Topic: Cap Frag Problems  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Papa Bear 47

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://scorrs.org
Cap Frag Problems
« on: April 21, 2004, 01:38:43 AM »
I use Uncle Mikes nipples on my Remington NMA's with Remington #10 caps with 26 grains of Goex 3fg. The caps fit great and fire every time. The problem is that after firing off a round and rotating to the next chamber the cap falls off as it should but it then usually will catch between the rear of the cylinder and the frame near where you would normally do the capping. The spent cap has opened up with three or four "legs" and this is what is catching between cylinder and frame. These are the "new" caps that are advertised as 40% hotter. I never had a problem with the older Remington caps. The flash hole in the nipples are .028 and the hammer spring is is stiff enough to keep the spent caps on the nipples until the cylinder is rotated.

I would rather not change to a different nipple as I have a large supply of them. Before I start buying several different tins of caps to try out I am asking for suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Offline jgalar

Cap Frag Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 01:55:00 AM »
I just raise the muzzle up when I cock so the caps fall away from the gun.

Offline Full House

Cap Frag Problems
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 12:13:18 PM »
Papa Bear, have you ever tried Vorderlader-Zundhutchen (Dynamit Nobel)  RWS 1075 caps?  I have used all caps and these are the hot; they brust and leave hardly any fragments.  The size of this cap is in between a #10 and a #11 USA made.  I have no trouble on my '63 NMA's...Uberti and Pietta.
Full House

Offline Papa Bear 47

Cap Frag Problems
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 04:32:08 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried the same loads but used Goex 2fg instead of 3fg.  The blowback was less severe and did not blow the cap apart as much.

Problem solved.  :grin:

Offline HWooldridge

• Contributor
Cap Frag Problems
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 04:29:34 AM »
Some makes of the old guns had a shallow groove running a quarter turn on the recoil shield that guided cap fragments to the area where the loading gate would later be on the cartridge pistols.  This allowed the fragment to fall out to the right.  If you are so inclined, you could file or machine one.

Offline Papa Bear 47

Cap Frag Problems
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 02:52:17 PM »
HWooldridge

Thanks for he suggestion, but I had already done that.  This had solved an earlier problem.

The current(past) problem was that the 3fg had a stronger blow back through the nipple than the 2fg.  It was blowing the cap into three or four legs and when rotating the cylinder one of these legs would sometimes catch between the frame and cylinder.

Offline Ramrod

Cap Frag Problems
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 03:05:27 PM »
jgalar's answer is the corrcect low-tech answer to how they did it in the old days, with many more variables in their cap supply. Raise the revolver smartly back and up, so the muzzle is pointing skyward as you cock it and you will ALMOST ALWAYS throw any cap fragments clear of the piece. You must have seen this in an old movie or a cartoon.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Cap Frag Problems
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 03:41:27 PM »
I've just finished shooting one of my Walkers, and I had no problems with the caps jamming---and that's with a 60 grain charge of fffg. So I doubt that blow back caused your troubles. I used #11 caps from Remington. I recall that years ago I too tried some super hot caps that were guaranteed to light off any firearm under any circumstances, and I do seem to remember that they did tend to fragment and cause problems. I think they were a solution to a problem that didn't exist.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline J.W.Neely

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Dragoons-sptia
Cap Frag Problems
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 01:05:52 AM »
Wow, 60 grs of fffg! :shock:  That has to make a great show.
Makes me feel like I am shooting a whimp load at 30 grs.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Cap Frag Problems
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 07:42:50 AM »
You have to remember that a Walker weighs in at 4lbs.9ozs., so recoil is non-existent. I also find the balance to be very good. I'd have to say that they're my favorite c&b revolver---they're accurate, powerful, comfortable to shoot, and they have a Victorian elegance about them that I find appealing. Their inner workings are quite robust---basic Colt---but much bigger, I've never had a Walker give out on me. Overall, they are just a blast to shoot. And they're a great hunting gun too.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member