Author Topic: Pardner goes Plastic  (Read 1453 times)

Offline scruffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Pardner goes Plastic
« on: April 21, 2004, 10:23:10 AM »
Well, last December after I boogered up the stocks on my $80 pardner I decided to refinish them.  Just messing around I grabbed some of the what I had on hand, antique walnut poleyshades, and sanded and then refinished.  Amazing the stocks came out a very very high gloss finish.  I didn't know what to do.  My brush beating 12 gauge wears super high gloss furnature.  Turkey hunting I've been dreading every fense to cross.  Having to keep it covered when sitting in the sun because of the glare might spook a bird, what was I to do?  I thought of steel wooling the stocks to scuff them up and end up with a semi flat to flat finish.  But I hate doing that to a good finish.

And last Friday a friend of mine said he was submitting an order to brownells and asked if I wanted anything.  I told him to add the choate synthetic stock and forearm (choate makes the synthetic stocks for NEF).  I got them Monday and installed them Monday afternoon inbetween turkey hunts.  Here's the verdict:

1.  The synthetic stock lowered the weight of the shotgun noticibly.  The already light weight balanced 28" mod barreled pardner was now lighter and barrel heavy.  To correct the balance I added an Allen shell holding on the butt stock and 5 3" mag loads.  This rebalanced the shotgun and brought it almost back to it's orginal wood weight.  

2.  The textured synthetic stocks have much better grip especially when wearing gloves and the forearm is shaped for easy gripping.  Also the grippy synthetic stock held the allen shell holder in place, it never slipped or worked it's way forward.

3.  The stocks came with sling rings that could easily be replaced with sling swivels, but I kept the rings.  I installed a simple black nylon sling, which is so much nicer than carrying the rifle all day or using a slip over and around shotgun sling.

4.  When I was out yesterday we recieved between 1" and 2" or rain depending on where you measured the rainfall.  The pardner's new stocks worked perfectly, never getting slippery when wet, always very easy to grip and hold onto.

5.  The synthetic stock also has a recoil pad (same one they put on stocks shipped directly to NEF except it says Choate instead of NEF).  My wood pardner only had a hard plastic butt plate.

6.  The quality of the choate stocks direct from choate (through brownells) seemed to be better than my two nef's with the monte carlo synthetic stocks/forearm.  The choate direct forearm was perfectly straight, not warped like one of mine from nef, and the synthetic straight stock just feels more rigid and thicker than the monte carlo stocks on my nef's.  Now I don't know if choate keeps the best ones to put their name on or if I just got a really good one, but I'm very satisfied.

The only thing that takes adjustment to is the look.  The color case hardened reciever with black barrel and black stocks and truglo fiber bead sight just seems a little odd.  Kind of like clashing the old with the new.  But after carrying it all day I've grown to really like it.  It's very unique.  The best of the old with the best of the new.

So my pardner's expence is rising, so far this is what I have in it:
$83 shotgun
$12 truglo front screw in fiber bead
$46 choate synthetic stocks
$141 total

But of all my hunting buddies I still have the cheapest shotgun in the bunch, by far!  :wink:  And the lightest, simpliest, ......  8)  

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Pardner goes Plastic
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 11:11:14 AM »
i had a 12 ga full choked 32 inch barreled pardner that someone had swapped over the plastic before i owned it. it was different to say the least, but i like the wood better myself. it did make for a light gun, and it was also very well balanced with a full shell holder on the butt. if i was going to do it myself, i would use the flat black factory wood stock set. but i am glad you like how it turned out, and that is of course what matters :-D  :-D  :-D
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Pardner goes Plastic
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 03:51:42 AM »
VC - Painted wood????  :eek:  That's against my religion!  

I almost bought a topper 20 last fall (deal fell through...  :cry: ), I had plans to strip the black wood stocks, even before shooting it, and refinish them.  But that's just me...  :wink:

All my nice shooting irons wear wood furnature, but all my brush guns/truck guns/tractor guns/bad weather guns wear synthetic.  They take a beating and still look decent.  The wood stocks, black or otherwise, get pretty beat up pretty fast under these extreme conditions.

And the more I handle my synthetic pardner the more I like it.  The ballance, the grip, etc.  Last night I pulled the turkey loads out of the shell holder and dropped in five 2 3/4" mag #4 buck loads.  I'm thinking of seeing how Mr Coyote likes the new stocks this evening.   :wink:

Later,
scruffy

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Avid Poster
Pardner goes Plastic
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 07:23:13 AM »
Scruffy
   Back to your high gloss wood, try 4 O steel wool.  It's fine enough not to tear up your finish but will reduce the gloss to a finish similar to hand rubbed.  I just did one with Tru-oil and a light rub down with 4 O wool and it looks like an old hand rubbed tung or linseed finish.
Best

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Pardner goes Plastic
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 08:27:07 AM »
Thanks, I'll remember that.  Right now the wood stocks are sealed up in plastic and up on the shelf.  If I have a full day of clay pigeon shooting to do I'll pull the wood stocks back out and bolt them back on with a steel bar in the stock (from my ultra slug).  I could and do shoot that thing all day!  Doubles are really challenging though.  :wink:

later,
scruffy

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Pardner goes Plastic
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 03:48:40 PM »
What I'd like to see is a synthetic camo stock.I'd buy one in a heart beat. The camo stock that choate has is a pretty lame painted on pattern. The guy at choate was very prompt and friendly when answering my qestions and emailing me pics.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
Pardner goes Plastic
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004, 11:08:49 AM »
scruffy -

i changed my 20 gauge and 410 to synthetic stocks and forearms, both stocks were ordered from NEF, and i like it much better than the wood.

with the synthetics, they are both a bit barrel heavy, especially the 410, but given the overall weight reduction, that is not even an issue.

they both have new slings too, i sling the gun more now than i thought i would, but shooting over good pointers gives you a bit of time to get ready. i wouldn't have it any other way now.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Pardner goes Plastic
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2004, 02:46:42 PM »
I thought when you were shoting over good ponters you were required to use a Merkle, Purdy or at least a Browning?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
Pardner goes Plastic
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2004, 03:36:32 PM »
haha !

markus -

point well taken - we must also wear wool suits when bird hunting in the summer and say things like "yes, lord mountbatten was a most accomplished expert on scones, marmalade and the gurka"

sg

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Pardner goes Plastic
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 04:48:59 AM »
Quote from: Markus
What I'd like to see is a synthetic camo stock.I'd buy one in a heart beat. The camo stock that choate has is a pretty lame painted on pattern. The guy at choate was very prompt and friendly when answering my qestions and emailing me pics.

agreed!!!

I wonder what it would cost to have a set "dipped" in cammo.  Hmmmm.

later,
scruffy

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
Pardner goes Plastic
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2004, 02:10:28 PM »
what's the camo paint thing where you use cheese cloth to apply or mask the paint ?

sg

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Pardner goes Plastic
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2004, 08:50:21 AM »
Ok, another mod was made to my pardner last night.  Very simple really, I wanted the shotgun to be ballanced without a shell carrier on the stock.  Without the shell carrier the 28" 12 gauge was barrel heavy.  I tried a couple different ways to put weight in the stock and finally, getting late, I just went out in the garage, grabbed a 3/4" x 3" grade 8 bolt and nut from my tractor bolt/nut bucket, and came back in the house.  The outside width of the bolt head and nut fit snuggly inside the synthetic stock.  I pulled the bolt out and stuffed an old bulky sock into the stock.  It filled a little over 3/4" of the area inside the stock.  Then I pushed the bolt/nut into the stock.  The recoil pad pushed the bolt into the sock.

Not the best, but there's no rattling or slop, and the shotgun is balanced without a shell holder now.  I've run into an issue on my place where the turkeys could come from either my right or left side.  I'm left eye dominant so I normally shoot left handed but can/do shoot either.  With the shell carrier on the left side of the stock I couldn't shoot it right handed because I couldn't get my cheak down, the shells were in the way.  If a turkey comes on my left side now he's in just as much trouble as he would if he came on my right.

Anyone have an idea of what to use instead of a sock to keep the bolt pushed to the back of the stock?  I'm afraid it'll move on recoil, which might not hurt anything I guess.  Or any other idea for quiet not rattling weight?

later,
scruffy

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
Pardner goes Plastic
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2004, 01:38:24 PM »
how about a handfull of lead shot sewn up in a cloth lead shot bag ?

sg

Offline sd550

Pardner goes Plastic
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2004, 05:25:24 AM »
Scruffy,

Get a plastic bag that is about the size of the stock cavity and place it inside the stock,then place your bolt in there and fill it with NON-expanding spray foam.After it sets up you can remove it if necessary without having a mess.

Spray some of the foam onto a piece of the plastic bag to make sure it doesn't eat through it before you place it in the stock!

Hope this might help.

sd

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Pardner goes Plastic
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 07:47:52 AM »
Hey sd550, that's a great idea!!!!  I'll give it a try!

later,
scruffy