Author Topic: checkering  (Read 662 times)

Offline ken s

• Trade Count: (0)
checkering
« on: April 21, 2004, 07:51:38 PM »
any one know where i can get  material on how to checker a stock. too cheap to have it done an to expensive for my handi. want to try it myself. what have i got to lose. checked around an they want $50 to do it. if i screw it up i can always buy a ultra forarm for about the same price i think. forarm is all i want checkered.
                                   ken s :D  :roll:

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
checkering
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 10:51:06 PM »
Brownells has everything you need.  Books, videos, checkering cradle and tools.
www.brownells.com
Will cost way over $50 to get setup unless you make stuff yourself.   After a few weeks of practice, you might be good enough to do a $50 checkering job on your forend!

Offline like2shoot

• Avid Poster
checkering
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 12:26:03 AM »
You may try stippling also if you are looking to get a better grip rather than for looks. You lay the pattern out then use a punch to make numerous punch marks or dimples in the wood. This provides a good grip on the wood. I had this done on a mauser forend and it works fine on a working rifle.
Shoot straight , shoot often.

Offline Leftoverdj

checkering
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 06:15:02 AM »
What Airsporter said. Checkering tools ain't cheap, and it takes better eyes and more patience than I have to to learn. There is no way you can start right in and do a decent job on the first try.

If you do want to learn, the place to start is recutting checkering that is already on junk stocks. Touching up a ding in existing checkering ain't too hard and is about as far as I ever got. The next step is checkering over that gawdawful stamped checkering that was used in the '60s. I've seen a couple of nice jobs done of that and was told that it was not hard because the layout was already stamped into the wood.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline olredhead

checkering
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 08:39:47 AM »
Hey guys while we're on the subject of stocks, is anyone customizing their stocks? ya'know slimming the grip, caps on grip and forearm. Anyone done a full rollover cheek style?