Author Topic: 9mm -- different brand?  (Read 481 times)

Offline Captain Hobo

• Trade Count: (0)
9mm -- different brand?
« on: April 23, 2004, 10:49:18 AM »
I was in the gunshop yesterday and I saw a pistol for sale, it was new and it looked like a Berretta, but it was made by a company called Helmar. It was a 9mm, it didn't look like it was double action. The price tag was $219. Now I know that you get what you pay for. I've owned junk guns before. But has anyone ever heard of this company or had one? I almost want to buy it since the price is low and it looks cool. I didn't ask to look at it, I was in a hurry and had to leave. I think that it can't be too junky since the shop refuses to sell the real cheap quality guns. Thanks for any info.

Offline jgalar

9mm -- different brand?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 11:17:56 AM »
I believe it was a helwan if my spelling is correct. It was the predecesor to the 92 type gun. I believe the Beretta name was Brigadier 1951. It is made in Egypt. Iraq and other countries make the same gun but call it by their own name. It has a single stack magazine and is single action.

Offline Captain Hobo

9mm -- different brand?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 11:09:16 AM »
Your spelling is correct. I did a search on the web with that name and found some info.  I hadn't correctly remembered the name and spelling.
Thanks!

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
9mm -- different brand?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 08:15:56 AM »
I was looking into one of these recently and decided against it.   From what I've read, the pistol is of decent quality (certainly not a Jennings or anything), but that it had some design problems.  The main thing IIRC is that the trigger pin also worked as the slide stop, and this caused a point of major wear and, often, eventual failure.  That's not to say it's a bad gun though.  One of my favorite pistols is my CZ-52 (they go for around $100 on the surplus market).  It's notorious for breaking firing pins but mine has never given me any trouble and it's a lot of fun to shoot.