Author Topic: Ultra Slug or rifled 11-87?  (Read 966 times)

Offline Big

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Ultra Slug or rifled 11-87?
« on: April 24, 2004, 06:28:21 PM »
My smoothbore Rem 870 shoots tight groups at 50 yards with rem slugger rifled slugs, but I don't trust it much beyond that.  Trying to decide between putting a cantilever scope mount Hastings rifled barrel on my 11-87, or buying an Ultra Slug for less than the cost of the 11-87 barrel.  Although I have a feeling what the replies will be in this forum, what are your thoughts?
"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 11:55:30 PM »
first off i have an older 870 wingmaster (2 3/4 only) with a smoothbore slug barrel, and i would trust it at 100 yrds with a good slug like a brenneke.  you might want to try some different slugs before spending a bunch on money for nothing.  but as far as the other choice goes i would have to know what you want to do with it. if its a brush beater with a scope, and you are going to be lugging it around all the time, i would not use a 10lb ultra slug myself, maybe a tracker2, those are nice and light to lug around, and my son's 20ga tracker2 with a williams peep shoots like a dream. even the 11-87 would not be bad for a brush gun, and a far cry from being a 10lb monster. now to hunt fields, clearcuts, or even some hardwood ridges where you are not going to be walking around all day the 12ga ultra slug would be a great choice, so i guess it kinda depends on what you are going to do with it?? then i could tell you which one i would vote for.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 12:36:26 PM »
I have a 12 gauge ultra slug. I have 2 sons, one has a 870 pump with a Hastings rifled slug barrel. the other has a Mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel. All have Bushnell Banner 4X32 scopes. All shoot nice tight 100 yard groups at 100 yards using Lightfield 2 3/4 inch sabot slugs. The Ultra shoots the tightest groups that are touching regularly but the other 2 shoot groups that almost touch. SO...... pick what will work best for you. By the way the 870 and the 500 have had the barrels locked in so they will not flex if We were interchanging barrels I do not think we would get as good performance.

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 04:35:42 PM »
Aren't Hastings barrels made in France? Thats almost as bad as a pump gun from china. That being said I have one on my 870 that works great. I switch the barrels alot. This year I shot a goose in the morning in Md. with the 28" smoothbore and a nice doe in the afternoon with the hasting rifled barrel with the cantilevered scope mount. I also have an old wingmaster with a 2 3/4" smoothbore slug barrel and had great results with the brennekes . I never tried them past 75 yards but I could keep the groups ta 3" to 4". It does depend on your hunting circumstances and preferences. If I was starting out again with nothing I'd get an Ultra 20ga or maybe even a trackerII 20 and have it drilled and tapped for a scope.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 07:23:48 AM »
I have a Rem 870 with a fully rifled cantilever scope mount barrel that shoots great at 100 yards.  Never stretched it beyond that.  I know those barrels will shoot well.  I use Brenneke KO Sabots in it and I have been satisfied with the performance.  

But, the 870 is my backup gun...My primary slugger is the Ultra Slug in 12GA...I just love shooting it.  I can haul the heavy gun around all day without too much trouble but heck I am a pretty big guy so 10lbs is no big deal.  Besides it is on a sling if I need to carry it over my shoulder for a little bit.

So, I guess if I were you I would opt for the Ultra Slugger.  One can never have too many guns around.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline 2500HD

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 10:42:09 AM »
Ultra Slugger hands down. I used to go the 870 smooth bore route then wanted a rifled cantilever barrel. Opted for a 12 ga. Ultra Slugger instead. I could get the gun and almost the Tasco World Class scope for the same price as just the barrel for the 870. I shoot Lightfield 2-3/4" sabot slugs and hold groups of three that you can cover with a half dollar at 125yrds. I was lucky to hold 3"-4" groups with the smooth bore 870. Love the big US for slugging!