Author Topic: polishing jackets  (Read 798 times)

Offline Sledge*

• Trade Count: (0)
polishing jackets
« on: April 25, 2004, 11:21:36 AM »
I know I have seen a post on this before but can't seem to find it so bare with me on this one.
  I bought 1000 jackets from Sierra and they came with a very dull finish and I swaged all of them and was trying to polish them up a bit. I washed them in Tarn X and they all looked great but after a couple hours they are getting big blotchs on them. I could put them in the tumbler and probably polish them up but the open hollow point fills up with medea.  Is there a chemical that can brighten the copper and stay bright?  I think if I get any more of these that are tarnished I will run them through the tumbler before I start with any of the swaging steps.
   Any ideas would be much appreciated. I suppose they would shoot just as good as a nice shinny bullet but shinny bullets are better to look at. LOL
    Thanks   Sledge
KEEP YOUR NOSE TO THE WIND AND YOUR POWDER DRY!

Offline Smokin7mm

polishing jackets
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 03:12:23 AM »
You could polish them before you start swaging this would easy enough.  If you have alreay swaged them and use standard media in your tumbler it plugs just about every one of the open tips.  Try picking up come corn cob  litter sold at pet stores.  This stuff is about the size of a pea.  Once in a while you will get some of the smaller pieces stuck in the tip but not near as many.  You could also sift out the smaller stuff and only use the bigger pieces.  This stuff is also cheap.  You get a big bag for only a couple of bucks.  It doesn't work so well for brass polishing though as it is so big it gets stuck in bottle neck cases.  I use it pretty much for doing bullet that are already swaged that have dulled and I want to polish them.  Hope this helps.
Bret

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
polishing jackets
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 06:43:59 AM »
:D Use the "IOSSO Case Cleaner" works of jackets and cases, but don't mix the two because if you do the copper from the jackets will plate on the cases and discolor them.

Donna :wink:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline Sledge*

Thanks Donna
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 05:46:21 PM »
I will try the IOSSO Case Cleaner.
KEEP YOUR NOSE TO THE WIND AND YOUR POWDER DRY!

Offline Clint Starke

polishing jackets
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 05:56:06 PM »
Sledge:

The best way to polish open point style varmint bullets is use Hard Red Spring Wheat in a rotary tumbler. Use clean seed wheat and a tumbler like a Sidewinder or Thumblers Tumblers. A vibratory works, but the bullets have a tendency to stay on the bottom. You'll get a nice, semi gloss sheen and no plugged points.

Also a great, non-chemical way to remove moly coating.

Clint.