Author Topic: Heavier crimp?  (Read 391 times)

Offline larry357

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Nope, its a 45
Heavier crimp?
« on: April 25, 2004, 06:30:08 PM »
I use a heavy crimp on jackets, today I shot some test loads of a 429421 over 18 gr. of 2400. The powder didnt burn as good as usual so does it make sense that I need to crimp my cast bullets a little heavier?
Life member: NRA, NAHC, NAFC

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Heavier crimp?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 11:46:54 PM »
you can try a heavier crimp but keep in mind that jacketed bullets have more friction and because of it allow for a little better burning of the powder. If you are conserned about having a clean burning load switch to something like lilgun or AA9 I personally dont worry a bit about how clean a load is if it shoots good i use it. It doesnt take but a couple minutes to clean a gun up when your done shooting.
blue lives matter

Offline larry357

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Nope, its a 45
Heavier crimp?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 10:19:47 AM »
Thanks Lloyd, I,m not worried about dirtyin up my gun like you said it dont take much time to clean her up. just thinking I may not be gettin my moneys worth out of the 2400 I should have checked it to make sure it was unburned or just residue. Maybe there wasnt enough in there to get a good burn cause my heavy XTP and GoldDot loads dont leave that much residue. thanks again I respect your opinions,Larry
Life member: NRA, NAHC, NAFC