Author Topic: Silenced 22A  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Will

• Trade Count: (0)
Silenced 22A
« on: April 27, 2004, 04:57:35 PM »
Okay folks. I've quite a bit of shooting in my few years, and I'm looking to get into shooting some Class 3 stuff. I've got a dealer close by ( In KY) and he showed me a silenced 10/22 today. It was cool. I understand it's legal to hunt small game in KY with a silenced .22, and this is what I'm wanting, as well as something cool to play with. I asked him about silencing my S&W 22A, and he said he could thread the barrel, and then I could buy the silencer and pay for the transfer. What sort of silencer should I be looking for and how much should I expect to spend on it? Is this the usual drill, having a barrel threaded, or should I look for an aftermarket barrel of some sort? Any help will be appreciated.
Even without grocery stores, I won't go hungry.

Offline Lawdog

Silenced 22A
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 11:38:48 AM »
Will,

Have you talked to the government officials, ATF and such, yet about owning a silenced firearm?  Got to get the license first or be in big trouble.  Small groups and tight lines to you.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Will

Silenced 22A
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 04:48:48 PM »
Yeah, I've pretty well done my background homework. The folks at this place train quite a few SWAT teams in the larger cities around here (which still ain't too large) and they explained the process to me. I know quite a few folks who shoot class 3 stuff. Fortunately, in KY, the restrictions aren't as strict as they are in other places. Thanks for the concern. On a side note, I'm getting this as a squirrel hunting piece, which is supposed to be legal to hunt with in KY. (Although I am going to check that out a little further.)
Even without grocery stores, I won't go hungry.

Offline Lawdog

Silenced 22A
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 10:16:34 AM »
Will,

Just remember that is a Federal law not a State law.  Federal law comes first.  Small groups and tight lines to you.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Silenced 22A
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 02:11:24 PM »
Doesn't the 22A have a vent rib? If yours does it'll also have to be trimmed back and the front sight relocated. Or you could mount a scope. I would look into the availability of replacement barrels before I threaded it. One of the better choices for hunting squirrels quietly is a Contender, since barrels are cheap and available. Threading one isn't a big deal, as long as it's done correctly (on center with the shoulder perpendicular to the bore). As for cans, they all pretty much work. I like AWC and Gemtec, but the deal right now seems to be Tactical Innovations for $100. They're completely dissasemblable, so you can keep it operating properly for a long time. If you can, try to listen to several being fired and see what you like best. And be glad you live in the great machinegun friendly state of Kentucky where the rest of us have to make our twice a year pilgramage to Knob Creek!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline chris s

Silenced 22A
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 01:34:32 AM »
call awc and see if the barrel nut from the p22 walther will fit or can be adapted