Author Topic: Do not pass go!  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Chargar

• Trade Count: (0)
Do not pass go!
« on: April 27, 2004, 05:42:59 PM »
Go directly to your number 5. Do not pass Go and do not buy more powder. I have ZERO confidence in Liquid Alox as a bullet lube. It is better than no lube, but won't hold a candle to a real bullet lube. Just stay away from those superhard waxs that need a heater.

Offline Chargar

Oops
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 05:49:30 PM »
This was not supposed to be a new thread, but a response to the fellow with the leading problems in his 9X18...I hit the wrong button..Oh well!!

Offline txpete

• Avid Poster
Do not pass go!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 06:56:07 PM »
I am running my cast 405's in my marlin ltd 45/70(3 lube groove) across my chrony 1500 fps with the magma blue lube.no leading and this is a plain base bullet.
my 158 gr lee swc gas check bullet lubed with lee tumble lube straight out of the bottle at 1200 fps in my 6 inch ruger 357 mag security six no leading.
my alloy 9 lb. ww to 1 lb linotype both lubes sure work in my guns.
pete

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Do not pass go!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 03:21:45 AM »
At least for me, liquid allox seems to work best with bullets designed for its use. Typically those dropped from the lee moulds that have many shallow lube grooves. I shoot some of those out of my 9mm, 40 s&w and 41 mag and get no leading at all. As a side note bullets coated with liquid allox seem to be good for "cleaning ou" a leaded bore. I had a lead spot in my taurus 450 that I could not scrub out with my normal cleaning supplies. I ran a dozen or so alloxed bullets through the gun and the spot disappeared. Have had the same experience with my 41 mag.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Kragman71

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Do not pass go!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 05:09:30 AM »
Chargar,
Lee liquid Alox is my favorite lube on my paper patched bullet.
I admit that I never tried it on my grooved cast bullets.
Frank
Frank

Offline txpete

• Avid Poster
Do not pass go!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 05:32:18 AM »
I should have my lee TL 210 gr 41 mag mold today via the brown truck glad to hear a good report on it.
pete

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Do not pass go!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 06:56:32 AM »
I have used Lee liquid Alox since it came out.  I have used it in rifles, pistols, revolvers, and my TCs.  I have never had a leading problem with any of them.  

A few years ago I got a 10" 357Max barrel for my TC.  I got 500, 180gr Laser Cast Bullets at the same time.  I got a good load going with the Laser Cast Bullets going 1860fps.  The only trouble was that I got heavy leading after a few rounds.  I didn't want to shoot 3 or 4 on a hunting trip and then clean it before I could shoot it again so I tried coating them with Lee liquid Alox and shot the same load.  Not only did I get no leading but it cleaned the barrel cleaner than it was.  The bullets coated with the Lee liquid Alox actually cleaned the barrel.

I use a Lee 358-166 gr SWC in my Rossi 92 rifle to shoot Cowboy Rifle Silhouette.  I cast these bullets out of soft, recovered 22LR, range lead.  I shoot them at 1200fps.  I have never had any leading in this rifle using Lee liquid alox.

I shoot a 10" 22 Hornet barrel for NRA Hunter Pistol Silhouette.  This year I started casting a 55gr RCBS bullet, cast from the same soft lead for these matches.  These bullets are going 1750fps according to my Chrony.  I have shot several hundred of these in matches and practice.  Again no leading.

In my opinion, if you are getting severe leading using Lee liquid Alox, your problem is not the lube you are using.

Sixgun
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Do not pass go!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 12:28:07 PM »
I too use the lee alox and love it. I have gotten some "factorey cast" bullets and the lub has come off. I just tumble lube them with the lee alox and they are just as good as new or better. The only thing i dotn like about it is the look of the bullets and they tend to stick together. I now dust them with midway mica and no troubles.

Offline Lucky Joe

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Do not pass go!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 11:42:00 AM »
I have been casting for 10 years now and I have always used Lee Alox. I've thought of using another lube but never had a reason to. I have purchased guns that had leading in it bore, the Alox cleaned them out in 12 or less rounds. Hay, I don't know but it works for me.
Lucky Joe

"There's always a way."

Offline jgalar

Do not pass go!
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 01:44:30 AM »
It makes the bullets look nasty, but its a great lube and rust preventative.

Offline pistolfan

Do not pass go!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 04:02:23 AM »
Hey "SIXGUN". Kind of a dumb question but, when you lubed the 357 Max Laser Cast bullets was this over there existing lube or did you melt there's out first. Just wondering because I too have a 10" 357 Max Contender and have been wondering how Lee's Liquid Alox would work over the existing lube. Thanks, Peter

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Do not pass go!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2004, 04:36:11 AM »
Pistolfan,

Yes, I just put it over the exhisting lube.  I tried getting the old lube off and it just made a big mess.  I works just fine over the exhisting lube.

Sixgun
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline EDG

• Avid Poster
Do not pass go!
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2004, 05:42:35 PM »
To remove existing bullet lube just put the bullets into boiling water.
 My experience with Lee Liquid Alox has be favorable but I prefer the Lee
stick Alox for normal use. The Liquid stuff is shaved off of the bullet OD when seating and clogs up your seating die faster.

Ed

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Do not pass go!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2004, 08:42:04 AM »
"but I prefer the Lee stick Alox for normal use"
Is this a soft or hard lube ( would I need to use a heater with this stuff)

Offline EDG

• Avid Poster
Do not pass go!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2004, 03:00:19 PM »
The Lee Alox stick lube is a soft lube and works well at room temperature with no heater. This lube is about the same as the NRA formula of half 2138F and half beeswax. I live in Texas so I have no experience with use in a cold environment.

Ed

Offline txpete

• Avid Poster
Do not pass go!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2004, 03:10:41 PM »
it is a soft lube no heat needed.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Do not pass go!
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2004, 06:09:53 PM »
I shoot a 400 gr. plain base bullet in my .480. I sized and lubed the bullets in my RCBS LAM II and thn rolled them around in some Lee Liquid alox. It will make a slight mess in the seating die, but there is no trace of leading, even with heavy loads of H110.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!