Author Topic: Topic of Discussion:  (Read 701 times)

Offline Duce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Topic of Discussion:
« on: April 29, 2004, 02:12:18 AM »
People: With more and more use of public land, my hunting pardners and I have talked about leasing some private ground. Anyone have experience with this, what is the going rate, and what should you watch out for? I know it's off topic, but what the hey!! let's walk on the wild side.  :-D    <>< :D Duce
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
Topic of Discussion:
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 03:17:52 AM »
Duce, here in WV leased hunting property goes for around 4.00 to 5.00 dollars per acre. So 150 acres will run you 450.00 a year. Buy plenty of NO TRESPASSING OR HUNTING posters because the first year there will probally be a lot torn down. :x

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Topic of Discussion:
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 03:32:56 AM »
$450 for 150 acres seems pretty cheap...Especially if you get a couple guys together to do the leasing.  Luckily I haven't had to go to that as of yet.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Topic of Discussion:
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 04:40:39 AM »
Wow, $5 an acre!  :eek:   I just drive around, find a place I want to hunt, use a plat book or the couty assessors office to find the owner, and then go over and ask that person for permission.  Most of the farmers in my area will let you hunt, some want to know ahead of time when you'll be out there.  I also shoot the breese a bit and get a feel for where the farmers sees the deer, where they eat, where they drink, bed, etc, when he's combining his crops, where he loads his grain wagons (there is always some spillage), etc.

If that doesn't work, I ask if I can coyote hunt.  I've yet to have anyone turn down a coyote hunt request if they had coyotes.  And if you pull coyotes off their farm they almost always then let you deer hunt.  I only have one farm I can't deer hunt on, but can coyote hunt anytime (and it's loaded with yotes!).

It's more trouble I guess, but easier on the wallet.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
Topic of Discussion:
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 01:10:56 PM »
Guys; I alway felt that hunting lease's were a bit over the top. But what hs happened over the years is, while I own a cabin in about 50 square mile of federal forest [UP of MI] I'm sarting to feel the pinch  of to many people. To start out years ago archery tags were $25, now they're $120. Then to top it off the DNR seems to care less about improving the hunting. They went as far as destroying a conservation club in Munising for feeding deer in the winter. With more and more restriction on off-road vcehicles and hunting down below, more and more are crossing the bridge. The attraction for me was always the deer hunting, and with the dnr's lack of interest, the deer herds going downhill. The grouse are few and far between, winters are rough on squirrels, and top that with license fees, I'm ready to move on. Thanks Guys: <><M :D Duce:

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Topic of Discussion:
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 01:49:16 PM »
Duce; The New Mexico nonresident tag is about $186, and if 3 of us go Bowhunting and take the motor home, it runs us about $345 each for a 10 day hunt. Elevation is only 6500 ft. so its easy walking sooo show up down here Aug. 28 and ride out with us. Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
Topic of Discussion:
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 02:35:16 AM »
Fellars: You sure know how to pull a blue fellar up by the bootstraps.
Digger thanks for the invite :grin:
The other side of the issue is that as a construction worker, we're down, late Dec thru the end of Feb. We're eyeing those southern states that have season that run into these month. One other inticing point is that many have one license that covers all, it may be a couple hundred bucks, but if it's in season, you can hunt it. Thanks Guys: <>< :D Duce:

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Topic of Discussion:
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 05:18:24 AM »
Duce;I forgot to mention that N. M. has a followup season that starts Jan. 1 to the 15 and you can use the same tag for it. The Jan. season is usually better hunting if the weather cooperates. Some years its T shirt hunting and sometimes its 2' snow on the ground.   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017