Author Topic: Scope Help  (Read 677 times)

Offline littlealk4

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope Help
« on: April 30, 2004, 04:44:27 PM »
OK,most of the people I know that hunt use high end scopes, like Leupold or Redfield. I have a friend that has a Winchester 70 in .270wsm and a $50 Simmons 3-9x50 from wal-mart. He has use this setup for the last 3 seasons in 34a with much success. His scope holds zero, has enough eye relief and and doesnt fog up. I guess my question is this....Im looking for a scope for my newly aquired .338 win mag, why should I buy a $150 scope when it seems my friends $50 simmons works fine on a magnum. What are the benifits of a top dollar scope? Thaks for the help.

Offline ercjr2001

Scope Help
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 05:44:41 PM »
It is just a matter when not if. You pay for warranties. You pay for glass and coatings. I have buddies that have done the same and sooner rather later their nickel and dime scope failed them. 270wsm is not a 338 mag.
338 has more bang and more recoil.
Spend $300+ and own a scope that will last a life time and has a warranty to back it up. You will see later in the evening woods and earlier in the fields. Next to each will be a No. 1 to 5, 1being preferred and 8 or least preferred.
Weaver Grand Slam App.$250 (2)
Nikon Monarch App. $300 (2) Due to field of view
leupold VX II App. $250  (3)
Burris Fullfield App. $199 (4) Due to customer service
Ziess Conquest App. $400 (1)
Leupold VX III App. $450  (1)
Bushnell Elite 4200 App. $350 to $400 (2) only due to short eye relief,3 in
Simmons atec p. $165 (5)
Tasco world Class App. $75 (8)

Spend the money you won't regret it. Rule of thumb - it is always better to spend more in optics than you would on the rifle.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Scope Help
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 03:45:40 AM »
When looking at a hunting scope, you need to look at more than holding zero, enough eye relief and won't fog.  One major feature you need to consider is the ability to use that particular scope under normal hunting conditions along with low light conditions.  Low light condition is where these middle to higher end scope out shine the $50.00 scopes.  Good low light scopes have better glass along with better coatings.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Big

• Avid Poster
Scope Help
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 10:42:42 AM »
Don't forget production variation.  Your friends's scope is garbage that works ok for now - at least as far as he'll admit.  The next Simmons off the production line will be better or much worse, but not the same, as the one before it.  Cheap products vary more in quality than do well-made products.
"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Offline vernonp

• Avid Poster
Scope Help
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 04:08:28 PM »
In optics, more than most things you really do get what you pay for. I was shopping in a Sam's Club a couple of months ago and came upon this display of Bausch & Lomb 10x42 Roof Prisim Binoculars. Now get ready, for $79.95. Inside the store I could not tell much about them, but Bausch & Lomb Binoculars for that price, I bought them. Well, they are so bad they are useless. I do not know what the hell I bought. I was buying the name, But I still got junk. I can not explain it. To answer your question about scopes the best I can. Buy the best you can afford. If 150.00 is your limit, I would think the Simmons Atech would be your best buy. If you want to go up in price a little my choice would be the Bushnell 3200 Elite. Contact Jon at the Optic Zone and get his opinion and go by it. Good luck in your choice

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
Scope Help
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 06:02:09 PM »
I used to buy cheaper scopes.  They held up fine for me.  I now buy more expensive mid-priced scopes ($150-200) and the difference is night and day between brightness, sharpness and how easy the scopes are to see through.  However, if I was in the position I was in when I bought the cheaper scopes (young & very low on cash) I would buy the cheaper scopes if I needed a scope.  My advice is do not buy a more expensive scope and then expect to be happy with the low end ones because once you move up you will not want to go back.  All my low end scopes have now been replaced, even on my 22's.