Author Topic: Walker?  (Read 910 times)

Offline Tad Houston

• Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
Walker?
« on: May 01, 2004, 05:48:56 PM »
Is the dragoon a walker? Whats best, 1st- 2nd- or 3rd model? Im thinking of getting one of these black powder magnums- Thanks, Tad

Offline Singing Bear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Walker?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 07:24:43 PM »
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd model Dragoons are "improved" Walkers.  Each succeding model had improvements over it's predecessor.  ie, the 1st model came out with a loading lever latch, whereas the Walker did not.  This helped keep the darned lever from falling down after every shot.  After that, changes included things like reshaping the trigger guard and such.
Singing Bear

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Walker?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 07:44:08 PM »
I've not had the falling lever problem with either of my Walkers. Another major difference between the Walker and the later Dragoon models is in powder capacity. My Walkers hold 60 grains of fffg which is a good deal more than the Dragoons will. I also find the Walker grip to be more comfortable to hold. The only problem I ever had with Walkers was finding holsters but lately even that has gotten easier.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
Walker?
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 01:57:26 PM »
Here's an original Walker from Company E, Conneticut

And here's a Uberti Dragoon that seems to have the earlier horizontal front lock-up.  

this one takes 44 grains of fffg with plenty of room for the ball. Velocities are in the mid 1,000s over the chronograph.
I started out shooting this at 50 feet and it was going so well that I shot half the string from 25 yards.  Group stayed the same size.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Walker?
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 05:44:56 PM »
These big Colts are accurate and powerful. Due to their robust innards they are very reliable. It seems to me that altogether too much has been made of their weight. Their heft makes for a steady hold and minimal recoil. Adding a shoulder strap to the holster belt makes carrying them comfortable. I like my '60 Armies and my squareback Navies, but if I had to pick just one to keep, it would be my second generation Walker.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member

Offline Tad Houston

• Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
Walker?
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 04:53:43 AM »
Whats the max charge in a dragoon compared to a walker? Also, whats the favorite dragoon model- 1st, 2nd or 3rd? Seems like i can get the same energy out of my ROA as the Dragoon, but the 1847 walker may have the ROA beat. :D

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Walker?
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 06:49:36 AM »
The Walker will take 60 grains of fffg and the Dragoons will generally hold up to 50 grains. Both hold more than the Ruger.
   Of the Dragoon models, I prefer the second model. It has the early style or Dragoon  "squareback" trigger guard and the later locking recesses with ramps on the cylinder.
   I think the main advantage of the Ruger is that you can get it with adjustable sights. But once you learn to use the traditional sights on the Colts, they work fine. And in some competitions, you can't use guns with adjustable sights anyway. But there's no doubt that the Ruger is a decent revolver.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member

Offline Sundown Holly

Walker?
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 02:35:36 PM »
I've never fired one of the "Big Iron" guns so I am envious of you guys. I've admired these guns from a distance but whenever it came time to buying one I always ended up with a Remington or 1860 Army Colt. Now I realize the errors of my ways!  I like to take along a black powder gun as a side arm when I go hiking in the desert, and usually it's a Navy Colt. Does anyone have any experience with one of the big guns (either a Walker or a Dragoon) as a hiking sidearm? Can you carry it all day without much trouble? I read stories of guys who swear by their Dragoons as a sidearm when in the back country, but it was usually on horseback. How about on foot?

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Walker?
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 03:14:44 PM »
The key to packing a Walker or a Dragoon in comfort is having the right rig. Thunder Ridge sells a Civil War style flap holster that works well. You can use most any belt one and a half to two inches wide. I made up a strap that goes over my right shoulder and attaches to the belt on the left front and left rear. This keeps the pistol from sliding down my leg. I've
carried my Walker this way for hours with no discomfort. I think they used to call it a "Sam Brown" rig in the old  days. It was standard issue in the British army until early in the last century--maybe even in WW2.
   As a trekking gun it's hard to beat a Walker. No other C&B revolver can
equal it's punch. The usual claim is that until the appearance of the .44 magnum in the mid 1950s, the Walker was the most powerful revolver ever built. That says alot, and yet the recoil is less than the recoil of a '60 Army that uses only half the powder charge. You don't gain anything by going to a Dragoon as the weight savings is only about 5 ounces and the
Walker uses a 20% heavier charge. By the way, the Walker weighs less than 2lbs. more than a '51 Navy. Hope this is of help to you.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member

Offline Sundown Holly

Walker?
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 05:58:19 PM »
filmokentucky, thank you so much for your information. It really helps! Now I have to figure a way to convince the Mrs. that this is an important necessity! Anyway, I look forward to trying one. Thanks again.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Walker?
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 06:35:10 PM »
I always try the "you can't be too rich, you can't be too handsome and you can't have too many cap and ball revolvers" argument. If that fails, I just beg.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member