Author Topic: Scope for 300 Ultra Mag  (Read 663 times)

Offline ercjr2001

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope for 300 Ultra Mag
« on: May 05, 2004, 02:29:54 PM »
I Just purchased a Sako 75 Hunter in 300 Rem Ultra Mag.
What should I put on top and why?
I have changed my mind so many times it has made my head spin.
I am looking at something between 3 to 16 power.
Ziess Conquest 3.5 - 10 X 44
                        4.5 - 14 X 44 AO side focus

Burris Signature Select 4 - 16 X 44 AO with Posi Lock

Bushnell elite 4200 4 - 16 X 40 AO
                                      X 50 AO

Leupold VX III 4.5 - 14 X 50
The gun dealer told me that Ziess was the only one with a mechanical erector assembly. He said the rest had spring adjustments.
I compared the Leupold VX III and the Ziess again and found my self liking that Ziess the best. I told the dealer about my previous comparison and he said you probably picked up a scope just a hair out of focus.         ( something his colegue should have picked up on )
After focusing in both scopes properly, I could not see a difference in brightness but the ziess had better field of view and site picture, but not by much. Any suggestions out there?
Mechanically who makes the supperior product?

Offline longshot

Scope for 300 Ultra Mag
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 03:54:35 PM »
I've got a Rem 700 BDL in .300 win mag that is wearing a Leupold Vari-x III 3.5-10x50 that I really enjoy.  Excellent optics, good in low light, and the eye relief is pretty constant through the magnification range.  I'm no tsure if the Zeiss, Burris, or Bushnell has constant eye relief, but it's something you may want to think about with a kicker like a .300 UM.  Hope this helps, good luck on the decision..... :D

longshot

Offline oldelkhunter

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Scope for 300 Ultra Mag
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 10:26:14 AM »
Ecjr ..I have the same gun in SS in 7STW..I too am picking out a scope and like you looking at options . I am going to buy either Sako mounts or S&K mount(simply beautiful but expensive)

My scope choices are similiar to yours:

Zeiss 3.5-10
    Leupold 3.5-10x40
    Leupold 4.5-14x40
    Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5-10x50

I wouldn't even consider a Burris or Bushnell for this baby ..Burris because of their Customer Service department and Bushnell for their lack of eye relief. Eye Relief will be very important when mounting a scope to a Sako because of their mounts... I have been bit once on my previous Sako models with a Bausch& Lomb elite scope not having enough relief..  

All great scopes that will put up with the recoil all have decent to great eye relief. Hope that helps and good luck with that UM it is a shooter in a 75.
"Be thankful that we're not getting all the government that we're paying for." Will Rogers

Offline Zachary

Scope for 300 Ultra Mag
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 08:22:36 AM »
I have an elite 4200 4x-16x-50mm on my 7Ultra.  With constant eye relief of 3.5" I have not been cut. However, with a .300, I would want more eye relief.   Zeiss 3x-9x-40 has 4" of eye relief, the 3.5x-10x is less.

Leupold's have great eye relief - you may want to look at the new VX-IIIs.

Zachary

Offline oldelkhunter

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Scope for 300 Ultra Mag
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 09:39:56 AM »
Zachary, Just to clarify.  Sakos in my opinion are probably a little tougher to mount and more critical of eye relief then other rifles at least they have been to me.  I have never been scope cut at least nver when  shooting a Sako. When I said bit I meant in the wallet because I should have bought a scope with more eye relief.  How do you like that 4-16x50 4200 ? Seems like everything they make has 3" of eye relief but 3.5 is same as most Euro scopes..
"Be thankful that we're not getting all the government that we're paying for." Will Rogers

Offline Zachary

Scope for 300 Ultra Mag
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 03:33:52 AM »
Oldelkhunter,

The Elite 4200 4x-16x-50mm is simply one of my favorite scopes in the World!!

It is super clear, it is super bright, it is built like a Tank, and it tracks perfectly.  I own a couple of them and they are just awesome.

They are a little on the heavy side, and they are kinda long, but for the still-hunting that I mostly do, that isn't a problem.

Zachary