Author Topic: PA CCW while hunting?  (Read 821 times)

Offline BattleRifleG3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
PA CCW while hunting?
« on: May 05, 2004, 07:26:31 PM »
I have a concealed weapon permit and a semi-auto pistol.

I am aware that PA game laws do not allow the use of semi-auto rifles or pistols for hunting.

Would it be ok to carry an auto pistol while hunting:
a.) For personal defense, as any other time (I've heard stories of people holding guys up with their hunting guns when they want the kill for themselves - a friend told a story of his father being held up, who calmly informed the guy that there were two 30-06s trained on him)
b.) To dispatch an animal that is clearly taken but not yet dead.
Moderator at www.gunandgame.com

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
PA CCW while hunting?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 03:00:15 AM »
According to the PA WCO's absolutely not! No sidearms while archery, spring turkey hunting, or the overlapping small game season.

Offline buckbeast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
PA CCW while hunting?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 02:47:51 PM »
I'll add a little to this. I seem to remember hearing about a law that states no ammunition is allowed to be carried except for the firearm you are "Hunting" with. If you were hunting in Pa with a 30.06 and were carrying a 9mm semi-auto pistol, they'd probably try to find a way to fine you for having 9mm ammo, that is if they couldn't get you for carrying with a license to conceal. I've met some WCO's in the past that were out for the fines, and if they couldn't get you for one thing, they would find another.

Buck
Just a country boy from the mountains of PA

Offline BattleRifleG3

• A Real Regular
PA CCW while hunting?
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 08:17:34 PM »
Glad to know all this, thanks!

If I need a sidearm while hunting I'll get a revolver.
Moderator at www.gunandgame.com

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
PA CCW while hunting?
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 06:57:57 PM »
BattleRifleG3...

My hunting buddy who lives about 20 miles north of Pittsburgh gave me a standing invitation to join him at his comfy cabin in the Moshannon State Forest for the opening of rifle Deer Season every year.

He holds a CCW Permit, but told me that in order to carry a handgun in the field during hunting season, you need a "Sportsmen's Permit" which is NOT the same as a CCW Permit.

I don't know if that allows you to carry a handgun AND a rifle OR just a handgun.  Therefore, you should check this out BEFORE you go into the field carrying a concealed or open-carried handgun.

I've only had one "experience" with Pennsylvania Game Wardens.  On that occasion, a pair of them stopped us on the 2nd day of Buck Season along a back road in the Moshannon State Forest as we were driving to the pipeline to hunt... and checked our rifles (to see if they were loaded... they weren't) and our hunting licenses.

The younger (mid-20's) of the two Wild Life Officers was reasonably friendly, but the older one (late 40's) was definitely looking to find a violation, but... fortunately for us, he couldn't find anything wrong.  He wasn't quite "discourteous", but he certainly wasn't very friendly.

A word of warning to the wise... the Pennsylvania Game Wardens are actively looking for violators and violations, make no mistake about that.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
PA CCW while hunting?
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 09:25:27 PM »
ok you can ccw a none semi ie revolver or single shot in hunting seasion for beer an deer, in spring turkey nothing in late fall yes, small game seasion a 22 or 17 thats all
in arch. nothing , muzzle loading seasion  nothing, an if your in allegheny county nothing at all unless its small game season then you can have a 22 or 17 revolver or single,
an if you deside to do it do your self a favor an save your self lots of time an money go get a ccw permit an a sportsman permit in the treaures office its 6$ for 5 years just take your hunting lic with you  they ask for it
reasion being the ccw permit lets you carry a weapon concealed any time, an you cant have it exposed except in life threating , sportsman permit lets you carry it in the open while hunting or fishing but you cant carry it under any thing ie"" concealed " from the weather under your coat or any thing an you cant have it loaded while you are sitten in your truck getting warm
i've been down this road before so its easyer to spend the extra few mins to get both then the bother of the BS from the cops or game comish

dave