Author Topic: AWB What if it passes  (Read 733 times)

Offline gregdemars

• Trade Count: (0)
AWB What if it passes
« on: May 07, 2004, 04:05:09 AM »
If the AWB is renewed in September, will government include all newer Bushmasters, Oly's, AK's, etc. Will they come to your house to confiscate em. Did I loose mine overboard or is it locked  in a safe room. There's gotta be millions of these guns in responsible hands. What would you do?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
AWB What if it passes
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 04:26:42 AM »
gregdemars:  I think that's why they sell all those long storage storage tube and silica gel packs.  Mikey.

Also, let's not forget that the day they ban all those assault weapons will be the day the police will become mired down in the insurgencies within their cities.  You won't have to worry about them coming to get your stuff because they will be too busy trying to defend themselves from the street gangs that have geared and gunned up to try to rule their little part of the local 'hood'.  

Also, I doubt you will see much of the 'city traffic' outside of town.  That's where they know they will run into the 'no nonsense' type of armed citizen and they know what to expect in that regard.  The police also know this but I doubt you will see your local PD or County Sheriff showing up at your door demanding you surrender your firearms.  

And, unless you have registered all your long guns with the local PD, who really knows what you have.  Eh?  Mikey.

Offline oso45-70

Hunting and shooting general discussion
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 07:11:45 PM »
Gentlemen: I realy thought the man we put in the white house would drop that like a hot potato,, Foolish me i guess. It gives me grave concern to hear that this issue has not been squelched by now, But it looks like he has a lot more on his plate than he can eat right now,,,,Thats my 2cents worth, You all have a good day.............Joe.........
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
AWB What if it passes
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 07:58:11 PM »
You have to realize that Bush can't do anything about it.  It was a law passed before his time.  What would you have him do?  With it set to expire in September why would Bush want to lead a crusade against it now?  Is it so important that you actually expect him to drop issues that appeal to moderate swing voters in an election year to repeal a law set to expire in months?

Offline oso45-70

hunting and shooting general discussions
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 06:14:38 AM »
Dukkiller
The answer is ( YES ) With the stroke of his pen he could show the world
he had some ba!!!!!!!s. He asked the NRA to support him and we did, He
has had the opportunity on many occasions to use the power given to him by law to stop the lefties and he has not done it, Saying this dose not mean that i would even consider voting for John Kerry. Its time for the conservatives to quit bowing down to the liberals. Its time to get back to the American way of life. We are on a one way street going a hundred miles a hour to no where. This sucks. Have a good day.....Joe.........[/u][/b]
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
AWB What if it passes
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 07:44:46 AM »
I'm somewhat confused.  Under what authority do you believe that Bush could end the ban, "With a stroke of his pen"?  The president does not have the power to repeal laws, only congress does.  (And the supreme court can declare them unconstitutional).  Help me out here.

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
AWB What if it passes
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 05:14:46 AM »
I think the reference is to Bush's ability to "sign" or "Veto" either the renewal or a replacement bill that congress would approve. Unfortunately Bush has already given us a pretty good indication that he would sign a renewal bill that came across his desk. We would like to see him veto it because congress does not have the numbers for an override.   Actually adding guns already in the system could be a bad thing. People may dump them any way they can and most probably would end up in the hands of criminals.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
AWB What if it passes
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 11:11:04 AM »
My question was not whether the ban was a good thing, but rather what the sharp criticism from oso45-70 was based on.  Sometimes I think people should realize that politicians MUST appeal to moderate votes to win, but that doesn't mean they don't share your values.  I believe Bush knows that the ban isn't going to pass out of congress in a more restrictive form than the current one, so be balances that vs the need to win moderate voters who statistically show they favor a ban on AKs.  I for one would prefer for Bush to concentrate on doing the things he needs to do to get re-elected.

Offline Dusty Miller

AWB What if it passes
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2004, 12:32:32 PM »
Amen to that Dukkillr.  You KNOW that if Kerry gets elected he'll sign every piece of anti-gun legislation that Hillary and Schuemer can sucker the Congress into passing.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Rummer

• Avid Poster
AWB What if it passes
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2004, 06:57:45 PM »
Guys,

Bush has already said that if congress passes it he will sign it.  He has said this about two other atrocious pieces of legislation; the medicare supplement and campaign finance reform and Congress passed both.  To the best of my knowledge George Bush has not vetoed one piece of legislation yet.

The only hope is to kill the bill in the House.  If it makes it to the Senate it will pass.

I will be surprised if it is not renewed.  It doesn't look good for us.

John